Water - How Clear is Clear?

skaffen

Hiya

I have a 440 L tank with an AquaEl Unimax Pro 500 for filtration, which has foam/wool, bio balls, dolomite, then ceramic noodles. What do you guys reckon about the media I'm using? The water's clean and almost clear, but there's some fine suspended particles - should I be able to get crystal clear water? I'm wondering if I need finer mechanical filtration media? I added some wool to the foam in the first basket, which seemed to help some...

r

Cheers

-Si

The little ones are ok for killing algae in the water, but won't do much to stop things like whitespot.

Having "gin-clear" water is important if you want to take decent photos, you could try find some filter pads/socks that go down to 50 microns if you want to get rid of fine particles, or use a product that makes them stick together so the coarser filter wool can catch them.

Thanks for the info. I don't like the sounds of adding floc, but I might try some filter pads. I presume there's no free lunch and you have to clean them more frequently? I can see myself getting sick of that and learning to appreciate the natural organic look more :D

It'll be interesting to see what the UV unit does...