April 20, 200818 yr comment_228179 Long story short, I have an empty 2 foot (http://fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/african-tank-vt29868.html long story here ) And wanted Africans for it. Any more suggestions? Other selections are pair of jullies or pulcher/brichardi/lelupi or maybe a pair or trio of yellows but not much more than that and yellows might be pushing it Am liking the look of labs (lots and lots of Ls :lol: ) Cheers, George Report
April 20, 200818 yr comment_228211 Its a shame you can't afford to get a bigger tank more like 3-4ft then you will have alot more options that will probably make you alot happier with what you have setup.. Your tank is really only suitable for a pair of lelupi/pulchers/jullies/brichardi, and pretty much your only option for getting one is to buy babies and grow them out hopefully saving the odd ones and selling them off. You may get away with yellow's but that would be about it and its ptobably not that cool for them as they get bigger, IMO a tank with just yellows would be quite boring but get a larger tank and you can mix a few different types. Report
April 20, 200818 yr comment_228233 small africans? how bout my 15-20mm fry. I have about 40 to get rid of. By the time they grow big enough for the next tank size up you might have enough pocket $ for a bigger tank. Report
April 20, 200818 yr Author comment_228240 Thanks guys, Prob have enough to get bigger tank now, but may have to downsize bed :evil: And a small bed isn't excatly ideal for um, well... the funky chicken, if you get my drift 8) Sounds like a great idea Smidey, but still have to get a stand done. Any suggestions? I don't excatly trust myself, but 96 litres of water in the carpet, well I can safely say mum would kill me :roll: Both Brichardi and Lelupi look good, what are yours Smidey? (meh we can talk tomorrow, 7.30 ) Thanks everyone, George Report
April 20, 200818 yr comment_228245 Thanks guys, Prob have enough to get bigger tank now, but may have to downsize bed :evil: And a small bed isn't excatly ideal for um, well... the funky chicken, if you get my drift 8) I have met you george, don't believe a word of this :lol: Sounds like a great idea Smidey, but still have to get a stand done. Any suggestions? I don't excatly trust myself, but 96 litres of water in the carpet, well I can safely say mum would kill me :roll: any timber type cabinet bigger than the tank will hold that, in fact i have a surplus to requirements microwave cabinet that could be used as a stand. Both Brichardi and Lelupi look good, what are yours Smidey? (meh we can talk tomorrow, 7.30 ) Thanks everyone, George I have matriaclima estherae (red zeb) & labido caruleus (electric yellows), about 8 yellows & rest zebs. As for the meeting, i wont be coming as i just got back from 4 days at the v8s & need to get to know my family again Report
April 20, 200818 yr comment_228246 I have met you george, don't believe a word of this :lol: Haha :lol: Report
April 20, 200818 yr Author comment_228248 I have met you george, don't believe a word of this :lol: LIES!! ALL LIES! crushing ma hopes man... any timber type cabinet bigger than the tank will hold that, in fact i have a surplus to requirements microwave cabinet that could be used as a stand. Mmmmm. I do suppose I have a few contacts :lol: . I have matriaclima estherae (red zeb) & labido caruleus (electric yellows), about 8 yellows & rest zebs. Well, spose beggars (or free things receivers) can't be chosers. As for the meeting, i wont be coming as i just got back from 4 days at the v8s & need to get to know my family again And your on here or are you not at home yet? Report
April 20, 200818 yr comment_228296 thats insult! :lol: how can you say a person you dont believe a word of this :lol: its like hes not good looking enough to do that. maybe leleupi ? they fairly small.. 2 foot tank tho.. not much room to play with.. ive got a 2 foot tank but just keep fry and female in there.. and still feel bad Report
April 21, 200818 yr Author comment_228466 Yeah... 'Course I'm good looking enough. I mean you have kids, right . What colour are your zebs smidey? Yeah, maybe leleupi... So many choices Report
April 21, 200818 yr Author comment_228472 What does anyone think about this : http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_20g.php Cheers, George Report
April 21, 200818 yr comment_228530 if wanting african look better to go apistos they are more the "look" Report
April 21, 200818 yr comment_228550 Hi, I've had most Tanganyika lake lamprologini and to me there are not many choice : shell dwellers (preferably brevis, else multifasciatus/similis) or Julidochromis transcriptus which is fairly small don't need a lot of room, and is fantastic to watch breed ! Lelupi are extremely agressive when they are well and I would not recommand below 4 ft, if yellow means Labidochromis caeruleus they like to swim a lot so no good either. In last ressource, brichardi and pulcher can do it, but they will invade you small tank extremely fast and are a it too big (the good point with transcriptus is that thye fry grows super slowly so your small tank won't be over populated in 3 months) Report
April 21, 200818 yr comment_228567 the good point with transcriptus is that thye fry grows super slowly so your small tank won't be over populated in 3 months Hmmm - must be doing something wrong then, cause my transcriptus babies are now over half grown, nearly as long as the parents, just not "filled out" yet. They came out of their cave about 2mm long and that was just before Xmas! Report
April 21, 200818 yr Author comment_228580 Julidochromis transcriptus looks good, but so do so many more :roll: Thanks guys for all the help. Report
April 21, 200818 yr comment_228581 lol I have 6-7 jullie maleri if you want It would be awesome if we got alot of the shell dwellers here but unfortunately we don't Report
April 21, 200818 yr comment_228584 are they on the list? give redwood aquatics in chch a bell they said they could try get anything on the list if people asked them to Report
April 23, 200818 yr comment_229157 Had to laugh. A regular seller on TM is now added the description of 'dwarf cichlid' to his brichardi listing. I've never heard or read of them termed this before- Anyone with further info? Was wondering if this is, what is known as "reading the market" . Report
April 23, 200818 yr comment_229160 Yep saw that a while ago to me it seems they are trying to appeal to the same market as blue rams cockatoo's and other community type true dwarf cichlids.. Hmmm maybe I should list some demasoni as dwarf cichlids they do stay small? Smaller than brichardi as well! lol Report
April 23, 200818 yr comment_229191 I have heard them refered to as that.. But I certainly wouldn't advertise them as dwarf cichlids in case someone mistook them for peaceful fish and tried to put them in a community tank even though I always check people know what they're getting and put it in the auction anyway so no worries there Report
April 23, 200818 yr comment_229197 Yea dwarf cichlid does make it sound more like a comunity fish :-? Report
April 24, 200818 yr comment_229351 What are you feeding your demasonii? Do they need additional algae for grazing? or can they live on zuchini or lettuce as a substitute greenery? Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.