Want Recomendations on materials 4 lining small fish room??

Insect Direct

got a small room prob 2.5mx1.5m approx in which i want to insulate to help keep the heat in, its in a shed all wooden frame so can add any fixings wotever etc.. . . .

Thinking along the lines of polystyrene all around except floor, yet to get prices which play a part, basically want good insulation i can instal myself at a reasonable price, any recomendations etc would be great cheers 4 your time :lol:

p.s actually gonna chuck my insects in there (out with fish :bounce: ) so will be dry around 30-35 degrees!

bats arnt the cheapest but then its only a small room so maybe worth itor if i get poly free or cheap i coiuld always cut poly into the frame work so i get a double layer, just got crickets again and forgot how loud they are so hopefully the poly will help with sound control aswell lol

cheers Jim ill give them a try, poly sounds good to me and as no water will be in the room it may do with just poly all round

any tips on fixing poly, long screws with plastic washer maybe?

lol use the poly man you saw my fishroom ill get the details for the free poly for you right now :) If I can find them on yellowpages online it sucks but the dogs somehow managed to eat the phonebook..

As for stick it up, I went out and brought some 2 1/2" nails to stick mine up lol without thinking and then realised the poly would just right straight off, so I cut up little squares of ply and stuck the nails through them and they seem to do a good job of ensuring the nail doesn't pull through.

just on a technical note, poly only give you half to two thirds of an insulation value of batts (based on 50mm poly = R1.2 insulation value)

I have almost a whole bale f batts here for $60 if you want it. it will only go about 10-12 square metres

Hey Man

Yea im starting to wunder if i should just use batts with hardboard or thinish ply maybe. . .

Thanks for the offer ill keep that in mind as still trying to source poly, been quoted $10per sq meter which soon adds up :o from 1 place and that was 60 mm and they rekond R1.8 insulation value but dont think was fire proof so hmm

cant wait to do it though another cold front on the way apparintly lol :lol:

Thanks for the offer ill keep that in mind as still trying to source poly, been quoted $10per sq meter which soon adds up :o from 1 place and that was 60 mm and they rekond R1.8 insulation value

It will vary hugely depending on the structure of the polystyrene.

Hi All

because walls are generally 100mm thick I used used polystyrene sheet that was 100 mm thick.

Suprisingly it isnt expensive to buy.

I went to a coolstore maker and got sheets of 2.4m x 1.2m x 100mm Poly for $20.00 per sheet.

I lined the inner walls with 7mm "C" Grade construction ply which was $17.95 at Mitre Mega.

Good luck.

:bow:

Hi All.

I think the stainless steel nails are only available from the "WOK" Shop.

:roll:

I only used ordinary steel nails and punched then in and then put filler in the holes.

The walls got painted after all that and there is no evidence of rust showing up yet. :wink:

If you are really concerned you can use "ANNULAR RINGED MARINE NAILS".

They'll cost you an arm and a leg but they will last until HELL FREEZES OVER. :lol: :lol:

:bow: