Parrots

BK

In Ozzie last week and I visit a breeder in Brisbane. He had 17 B&G Macaw chicks, 2 GW Macaw chicks, 2 Scarlet Macaw chicks, 12 Hanns Macaw and about 20 other small Macaw chick. That’s only the Macaws also had Amazons, Conures, A Grey's and Ecees. Soo wish I could move over there. One things that I really took note of was the size of the parrots over there, you can really see what a small gene pools does to NZ parrot stocks. Talking to an importer yesterday and he was saying that from his contacts with DOC/MAF etc that in a couple of years they will stop the importantion of Fish as they have done with parrots. The generally feeling he got was if NZ does make export $ out of importing live animals its not worth the risk. I’m so glad they know what they are doing (haha). Not being able to import parrots has worked so well (haha). Heard a rumor the other day that there was a couple of Hyacinth Macaw bred this year. Also got the view these and Palm cockatoos in Ozzie as well. While you can't import parrots into Ozzie at least they have a register for parrots, in NZ there’s nothing so after a couple of years there’s no way that DOC/MAF could ever prove where parrots come from. Did get a funny look at the airport when they had a look at my bag full of parrots toys and products. Lucky I was in shorts and t-shirt as they gave we the once over don't really like getting naked in front of other blokes..

ITalking to an importer yesterday and he was saying that from his contacts with DOC/MAF etc that in a couple of years they will stop the importantion of Fish as they have done with parrots.

If that happens I'll torch the beehive and move to the US or UK!!

Did you look at the price of fish over there? Apparently the large/oddballs are really expensive (think several hundred for a silver aro or redtailed cat!), at least they have some cool natives tho.

I hate to think Roy has Hyacinth.

Green Wing (90%) you are so lucky, wish they could get the 2 100% together.

The importer said that the EU and States have ban Gourami and Rasbors due to a new disease and MAF are thinking about doing the same thing.

I hate to think Roy has Hyacinth.

Green Wing (90%) you are so lucky, wish they could get the 2 100% together.

The importer said that the EU and States have ban Gourami and Rasbors due to a new disease and MAF are thinking about doing the same thing.

:D on first point

thought davey had them as well

not lucky just found some money

really want a pair, saving like crazy :x

I'm in Western Australia at the moment (flying out tomorrow very early) These guys are so lucky with the amount of wild parrots they have. We have been to a couple of small zoo's with averies full of the different types. Everyday since we've been here we've seen flocks of 28's, Corellas, Black cockatoo's, Galahs and lorikeets. It's almost sad we have to leave.

Old Davie as well? Don’t know for sure that Roy had them just a guess. When you think about smuggling domestic bred parrots (eggs) the only problem is the risk of disease, MAF/DOC could change all this by allowing us to pay for quarantine. Live birds are a different story. A lot of the parrots in NZ are showing signs of small gene pool, even common parrots. When labour first come into power they wanted to get rid of all parrots by not allowing them to be bred, Some times you feel that its not worth while trying to play by the rules and can understand why people smuggle and really you would be unlikely if you got caught unless someone had informed border control. Really even thou I got checked flying in I could have had 1/2 dozen eggs in my pants (no more too fat) not that I did.