my two fighters

spoon

I know someone who has three males in the same tank - he told me that they don't fight unless there isnt much space or if its over a female... something like that

I have a male and female together in community tank with no problems. They flare a bit and play around but never gets serious. The male seems to be scared of other males though and just hides from them if put next to each other lol :roll:

nice looking fish, how big are they and did you get them from a shop or breeder?
i got them from 2 different lfs here in chch animates and another chain 1 pity my favourite stores didnt have them. they arent full size yet they bout 3.5cm from nose to start of tail

i came home from work 2day and thort the red 1 was dead , however he just started moved 10 seconds later and swam normally , i noticed when they 2 bettas were trying to fight through the divider (not injuring themselves) they showed off their fins heaps and puffed out the gills so they looked wider the red 1 would then back off sometimes swimming on a wierd angle but then he would go back to swimming normally for 5mins till he went back over to the divider 3 times i watched him step up and go face the blue 1 looking thru the divider and then he would back off 10secs later and swim to the bottom and roll onto his side like he was playing dead is this normall beta behaviour? bear in mind water quality is good both fish appear healthy(nothing visible anyway)

its a aqua 1 hang-on 300 the tank is about 25-30 l, the red betta would have more turbulence as the filter is on his side of the tank however the filter is turned right down to near minimum flow, the divider is called a' flow thru diviver and is basically a thin , rigid, clear plastic sheet with preforated 3mm holes all over it there is definatly not as much flow on the blue bettas side tho

there are several reasons bettas lie on their sides

1. they are sick

2. the current is too strong for them to rest with their fins upright

3. they are old and tired (similar to no.2)

4. they just do (which sounds silly I know)

if he is active and eating well don't panic too much. you could try spreading the filter flow into the tank somehow, even if you make some sort of ledge underneath it and see if that works otherwise try moving the filter to the other side of the tank and see what happens.

ok thats good advide i will turn the filter right down untill i put my background in (in my post in DIY) the top of 1 of the tree roots is right underneath the filter outflow and will spread it out a bit , he is eating fine and otherwise healthy so hopefully all is right , i was thinking itr must be hard swimming round dragging those heavy fins and then lifting them up to scare away ur enemy all the time i was thinking he was tired or lazy :lol: