first time caller- terrarium plant tips wanted!

Theo

Hi all- an exciting day today, i picked up an exo terra terrarium cheap- and its pretty big- 600 w x 600 h x 450 d.

I have 3 recently metamorphosed frogs and one or two still to change.

I would like to make a really nice looking tank- lots of plants and perhaps water in a section by the glass front to allow underwater viewing.

I'd like any suggestions on construction of the land part and keeping the water part safe and clean for my frogs. I am imaging I'll have to get a pump to circulate and maybe filter the water, but how to divide off the water is the first challenge- in the meantime i guess a large pool or clean rocks will do.

also what are your favourite plants for a terrrium? are some mosses better than others? can I leave it just naturally lit for now? are foggers and expensive or essential accessory?

all comments / suggestions gratefully taken, I'll post pics when I have something to show for it. cheers, Theo. :)

Hi there,

Go for a walk in the bush with a small shovel type thing (maybe a spade head or a trowel) and dig up plants that look exciting to you :wink: . Yeah its a bit naughty but there's lots of plants out there.

Take a bucket too. And perhaps a pair secateres (sp. I know tehe)

I wouldn't bother with a fogger, just nip down to Payless Plastics etc. and get a spray bottle. Easy and rather cheap too.

Have a look at my terrarium also :lol: It's just down the page a bit.

HTH

George

congrats on the first tank i have the same tank http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/frog-t ... 28719.html

if u can pick up a fogger cheap id recoomend it ane more than $50 is too much it doesnt matter what brand they are all made by the same company in china (try ebay ). this is the effect u get from a fogger just remeber they will heat the water slightly so dont leave it on all day and u will need to arrange it so ur frogs cant get on top of it

DSC00790.jpg

bromeliads look good and can be attached to wood

DSC00776.jpg

spanish moss is another good plant but can be hard to track down other plants to get are in the baby house plant section at mitre 10 warehouse etc

DSC00859.jpg

DSC00774.jpg

i also forgot to tell if u have bell frogs they tend to be rather rough with real plants so i use a mix of fake and reall liek the ferns in the pics are plastic these are just the fake 1s people have in there living room (just keep ane metal in them out of water

axies are nearly full grown too big for the frogs to bother with and the frogs are too big for the axies to bother with tho it is funny when a frog lands on 1 acidentilly they get tangled and splash the water everywhere

• 2 weeks later...

I have a little wee set up for my whistly and I keep mountain minnows in the bottom of it - they clean up any fruitflies my little guy misses. I grow a little plant you often see sold in small pots at the red shed or at garden centres as baby's tears or Helixine solandri (think i got that right!), and a miniature african violet which likes the humidity, and a whoooooole lotta spagnum moss. There are some large rocks in there, one of which is a fake rock which has a crevice in it for planting. I got a very very tiny pump from a seller on tm, which was designed to make tabletop fountains, and made a little waterfall that trickles over the moss and rocks. There's a space in the middle with a bogwood bridge that the minnows like swimming under, dark pebbles holding everything in place. I will post a photo if frog will post when he wakes up tomorrow. He's temperamental. He seems quite happy in there, it's not much but it's his. I think the sphagnum is probably doing wonders for the water quality.

thanks for all the suggestions- i have an intial setup using a large water dish for swimming. but the false bottom idea seems to be taking hold.

if anyone could point to pictures of false bottom setups, nothing too flash, that would be great too. I'll have a go at posting a pic of my set up later. cheers Theo :)