Lighting - Easy Question

Zabman

Metal Halide lamps are a kind of incandescent light, rather than a flourescent - whereas flourescent lamps work by sending electrical pulses through a gas, metal halides work like a normal lightbulb whereby they pass a current thorough a (metal halide) filament. They are very bright, get very hot, and are often used in more expensive cars for headlights (the ones that look blueish ffom a distance).

Awesome!

Next question - I like the sound of the Halides, and have also read nothing but good things regarding them.

Would I be right in assuming that they would be better than T5's?

Whereabouts would I find the reflector thingies for them?

So T5 lighting should suffice?

I worry that I won't get enough light to grow all the plants I want to.

The plan is to get CO2 injection in the future, a proper planted setup ie laterite - possibly undergravel heating (if this is neccessary in NZ).

Just don't want to hamstring myself on the lights.

If I was to get 4 T5 lights, It would probably work out at about the same as metal halides?

Unless you're serious about it, T5s will be fine for a plants.

I don't think MHs are that expensive. You can frequently find MH units on trademe secondhand for like $150-200ish for a 250W DE. I only managed to get $300 for my dual 250W DE pendant.

I don't believe heat is much more than you'd get from a similar wattage of T5s, it's just that the heat from like 500 watts of T5s is going to be produced over like an 8 square foot patch compared to more like 8 square inches for a MH.