Leopard gecko's

Perpin

Repto you are a sucker for punishment. :-?

You will make other members of this forum either very very happy..or cry.

But it would be nice to know how much they cost eh? :lol:

Maybe we need to get those trousers that Steve Mcqueen used in teh great escape...you know the ones with the pockets sewn on the insides and all go visit. :wink:

Navarre

I must say that I feel very welcome already! Thanks for all the kind words. I will be doing a lot of reading to see what you all have and love.

I do love my leo's and it will be terribly hard to say goodbye to them. They all have their own personalities.

As far as snakes go, I am afraid that I dont keep any. I do love snakes but my family does not!

I have not had any experience with African Fat Tail Gecko's but I believe that they are very similar to leopard gecko's when it comes to husbandry.

Prices vary according to morph (colour) and age. Here in SA a normal will fetch about R300 (about 46 NZ $). The Albino hatchlings go for R600 (about 92 NZ$) and an adult albino goes for R1200 (about 184 NZ$). It seems crazy when you consider that they go for about 1500 NZ$ over there!!!!!!! To be honest, I would pay it as they are a very rewarding species to have.

You are all most welcome to come and visit with your special pants! :wink:

It is crazy! Our currency gets worse by the day.

I have heard about them searching people after monitoring forums. I understand that they are very protective about there ecology and I respect that. Believe me when I say that I love my leo's but I am a law abiding citizen and I would never try and smuggle anything in. I would much rather save my money and try and buy a leo or two when I get there.

I believe that a few of your indegenous reptiles are endangered. I would love to somehow get involved with nature conservation there and help as much as possible. The more people helping the better. I love all reptiles and if I cant have leo's there its sad but it's ok. I will be doing some research from my side to learn as much as I can about your species of gecko's and lizards. I have seen some pics and they are beautiful! I guess it makes sense to rather focus your passion and energy into trying to help a species flourish rather than breed an exotic species.

Is anyone on this forum involved in nature conservation or working to help any of the endangered species?

Yes I am involved in both Environmental Management and Conservation Ecology. I have spent a bit of time working at Little Barrier Island (A wildlife reserve which restricts public entry and homes Tutatara, Chevron Skinks as well as rare Birds and invertebrates), and there are lots of possibilites to do volunteer work, working with native reptiles in New Zealand, which has a very good community ethic when it comes to biodiversity conservation schemes. Just give me a PM if you want more details.

Yikes! I remember when a friend moved here from SA the rand and NZ$ were about equal!!

Those prices are crazy, it would definitely be worth it trying to contact a zoo to help you bring them in.

maf will not allow it, too much work...maybe in 100 years we will have a unique nz morph? maybe we should aim for a pure black 'katipo' strain?? LOL