New Tank and want Cichlids.. but which??

StarFish

Hey all, we are purchasing a 200L tank in the weekend and want to have Cichlids again, Im reasonably clued up on them as we have kept them (while in the Uk) for a good couple of years, including yellow labs, kribs, brichardis,and a few other cool ones including shell dwellers etc.

In conclusion obviously this tank isnt HUGE so want to know what will be some good small cichlids that we could keep in it, I mean at the end of the day our fish shop/s here are pretty low key so I guess we will end up getting what is available, however we can order them in too ,so some suggestions would be great.

One more question, shell dwellers... can you get them here?

Im not sure what type he was but we had just one, he was quite small and we kept in a community tank quite happily.

THANKS!

:bounce:

Yeah its not something we are going to rush into we want to make a good decision which is why Im asking in here for peoples suggestions, I would probably have a few plants but it wouldnt be my main tank filler, I was thinking of putting a rocky mountainous scape in the middle with lots of caves for them to hide, or a half circle type mountain of rock caves around the back for them, with the odd plant sticking out here and there, and have a fine gravel substrate.

In our old cichlid tanks we just had the odd java fern sticking out, but was mainly lots of rocky caves, and stone sculptures I had made myself with tank silicone and slate :)

I can't remember seeing any shell dwellers here, or at least in recent times in terms of Lamprologus sp.

Every now and then some 'Alto's' are around but not so much the dwarf varirties.

Juli's, Lelupi, brichardi, pulcher etc seem readily available but it would be awesome to get in some shell spawners.

I agree about the apisto's, cockatoo's, agazizii's, etc are cool and would be a pretty nice alternative.

Well I guess in terms of shell dwelling alot of cichlids like to 'hide' in things as such, so its ok I guess, just the little occelatus we had was SO fascinating, he was my favourite fish.

And he would go for your hand if you dare come in and try to move his shell around, I remember we had him in a small tank on our computer desk and unaware stuck my arm in for the first time only to be attacked, screamed my head off and pulled half the tank water out all over the computer desk in fright LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just saw your 'new tank' thread.

Be mindfull of your tank dimensions when selecting what fish. the apistos are territorial of floorspace so your tank would suit only one pair i'd suggest. Perhaps think of mid-top level fish or make a stack of rocks or tall plants to give more cover.

look forward to see the progress.

Something funny you can do (I once did so) : find a few multifasciatus or similis (5 to 10), put a HUGE number of shells and watch the community grow.

Just fascinating.

Occelatus are territorial, so your tank will look empty while multifasciatus live in colony. Ideally you need to have a complete layer of shells on the soil of the tank. (in France we are eating snails to I just have to ask my brother to keep me the shells when he "catch" some :D )

They are increadibly common here, that would be surprising you could not find a few !

They are regularly imported and breed so readily that aquarist give them out for nothing.

The real fun part is that in 200L you can have within 18 monthsa colony of 30 adults :D (and give many offspring because obviously they are expanding fast).

They are increadibly common here, that would be surprising you could not find a few !

They are regularly imported and breed so readily that aquarist give them out for nothing.

The real fun part is that in 200L you can have within 18 monthsa colony of 30 adults :D (and give many offspring because obviously they are expanding fast).

:evil: :evil: We are very limited to cichlids and other fish coming into NZ