Redwood aquaics

wilson

It is important that importing is properly controlled because if not, when some nasty fish or disease is introduced every non fishy person will be clammering to have it stopped. I imported goldfish many years ago and the people supervising it then made it so tough that I flagged it. These people are trying to make a living importing and if it gets too tough they will have to flag it. At the moment it seems there are a few prepared to continue and that is good. If you look at the standards required in our freezing works by importing countries and compare that to the domestic standards in that country you can see how much relates to food hygiene and how much to politics. I suspect some of the requirements at present may be similar. I was present at the meeting with importers and Maf prior to the present regulations being promolgated ( I was asked to chair the meeting) and they seemed a reasonable compromise between the desires of Maf and the importers. To the best of my knowledge the Regs are still the same but what we have is different people puting different interpretations on those Regs. I spent most of my working life working with legislation and the words mean what the words say, not what the person who wrote them meant to say or the person who is inforcing them thinks they might mean. What it neads is someone with megabucks to take them on but there are not megabucks in importing fish so it aint gunna happen. I just hope that those doing it are able to hang in there until it settles down.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got no problems with what they do, its just they focus on things which make bugger all difference, and ignore the real potential problems! Like Conch said in a post somewhere, MAF are worried about someone using a bucket they've used in the tank, to collect NSW, but dont care about a cargo ship which releases thousands of litres of ballast water (which was most probably collected over in asia somewhere) into our harbours.

Their priorities need to change. Yes I agree that some species of fish/inverts can/will cause a problem if released into our waters. Do they have to make things hard for everyone due to these few species? No, they just choose to so they can make it so difficult that people will give up and its 1 less thing for them to worry about.

HI All

Its about time that the people that have an interest in keeping tropical and tropical Marine fish got together and started attacking MAF. :wink:

MAF are the messenger boys, for the "hide under the covers group ERMA:, a lot of academics who wouldn't know which way was up and do this "BECAUSE THEY CAN" :evil:

Remember the "GLOW DANIO FIASCO IN CHRISTCHURCH?"

If anybody is interested I can make available the reply I got from them to the questions I asked "UNDER THE OFFICIAL INFORMATION ACT".

Some of the answers leave a lot to be called honest or open.

I would let the readers of those documents form their own conclusions.

:bow:

HI All

Its about time that the people that have an interest in keeping tropical and tropical Marine fish got together and started attacking MAF. :wink:

MAF are the messenger boys, for the "hide under the covers group ERMA:, a lot of academics who wouldn't know which way was up and do this "BECAUSE THEY CAN" :evil:

Remember the "GLOW DANIO FIASCO IN CHRISTCHURCH?"

If anybody is interested I can make available the reply I got from them to the questions I asked "UNDER THE OFFICIAL INFORMATION ACT".

Some of the answers leave a lot to be called honest or open.

:bow:

could you send it to me (my email is on my profile page)

If anybody is interested I can make available the reply I got from them to the questions I asked "UNDER THE OFFICIAL INFORMATION ACT". Some of the answers leave a lot to be called honest or open.

PM'd :)