What is this? White cloudy patch, then hole in fin?

Kelsta

Hi folks

I cannot figure out what is wrong so I hope someone can shed some light on it...

one of my goldfish developed a white cloudy patch on his tail fin. Not fluffy, and not what your typical white spot looks like. It was tear-drop shaped, and then after he'd had it for about two weeks, the cloudy patch became a hole in the fin. The best way to explain it is that it was almost like dropping acid onto paper and then it burns a hole in the paper. But my fish's hole developed a lot more slowly.

A week of Melafix had no result whatsoever.

Our local fish store thought it sounded fungal, so we treated with Wunder Tonic for a week. This has also had absolutely no effect whatsoever.

So we're just wondering what on earth to do now? The hole has not improved at ALL, and in fact, looks worse. And on top of that, I have notoced a similar what cloudy patch appearing on our black moore.

Quick tank stats:

Temp sits around 20 degrees - has been heating up to 23 during the day, which we remedy with ice packs when we get home to bring it back down again - could this have caused it?

Ammonia 0

Nitirite 0

Nitrate from 5-10ppm (5 right after water changes, and creeps up to about 10 right before the next weekly water change).

pH 7.5

Any ideas?

What causes fin rot?

Our water conditions are very good, so I would've thought they'de be safe from that? Do you know how to diagnose fin rot? And how do you treat it? Wouldn't melafix have fixed it?

I have a feeling it's not fin rot though. Recently, one of our goldies got stuck in a hole, and scraped off a few scales, and she was completely healed with no trace of the injury after only three weeks. Surely with water conditions that good, and healing taking place so fast, fit rot would not be a suspect. Although at this point I should be open to all possibilities!

I googled it so i dont know. If you put a picture up people might be able to help.

Description: Fin rot is one of the most common, and most preventable, diseases in aquarium fish. It is caused by several types of bacteria, and often occurs concurrently with other diseases. It can usually be cured, but if left untreated, it can kill the diseased fish and infect all the others in the tank.

Symptoms:

Fin edges turn white

Fins fray

Bases of fins enflamed

Entire fin may rot away

The fins begin to fray and get ragged, becoming shorter over time. Usually the edges look white, and may even develop a fuzzy growth due to secondary Cotton Wool infection. A the disease advances the area may become red an inflamed, with bloody patches appearing as more of the fin is eaten away.

Oh wow, from that description it definitely is not fin rot. It's not at the edges and definitely localised to the one patch. No inflammation or 'raggedness'. Everything looks healthy and beautiful except that one patch.

Hmmm... have to keep searching I think. It's so annoying posting pictures with our crappy home computer. I might try that if no one else has any ideas.

My dwarf gouramis all had something similar before they died, both on fins and sometimes on their body. It seems to be related to parasites but, hey, info is scarce and i never found anything to treat it. My male blue ram has just appeared with a similar mark on it's tail fin and above its eye. Have placed it in a small tank with salt and furan just to see if it survives.....good luck

Hey, I've just been doing some internet research and it sounds like it might be viral... haven't found out what to treat with if it is viral though...?

Don't antibiotics kill viruses? I'm not sure...

If you know someone who bought into the whole 'AAAaARRRrGGgHHHH! Bird Flu - what will we do?!?!??!!!' mass hysteria and bought 17 cartons of Tamiflu, you could try that - its an anti-viral.

Oh yeah, that was serious scare-mongering aye...!

I think I'll just see if I can't diagnose the problem properly before checking in any more meds. I'm also wondering now if it may be to do with gill flukes, as the Koi Vet says ripped fins can be sign. It can't be any other parasites as they been salted, treated with wunder tonic and melafix - what's left!

When this happened to mine it seemed to be a result of a weakened system caused by other things like parasites. Viral sounds right to me. It is interesting that only fish from the infected tank have succumbed to this, even when they have been moved for several months. The other fish have remained fine.

or fin rot?

handd_1999 - The treatment is to spot treat infected areas with gentian violet, bought from the pharmacist. After 3 treatments twice a day and daily water changes with extra salt the fin rot should be gone. Gentian violet is used for treating mouth fungus in babies, and usually not out on the shelves. It is in liquid form - just leave the betta in a net and applied it with a clean q-tip. Waited a few seconds and put it back in water. It dyes fins, but it comes off easy. Blotted the GV...didn't wipe or rub across fins. WARNING...make sure you aren't wearing anything you care about. If they start flipping in the net the stuff goes every where... - Dec 12, 2000

http://www.bubblenest.com/betta-fish/he ... lth-13.php

Well, if my fish are weakended due to flukes, that would make sense as I've had them for almost a year and they definitely don't have any other nasties as they've been treated for all but gill flukes.

My hubby refused to let me treat with Droncit (After I'd spent $70 on it...)because he was frightened that I'd got some dodgy advice off the internet and I would kill his babies with "dog wormer". I have not been able to talk him round to it since. I didn't see any flashing, but they came from a shop and I've read EVERYWHERE that they always carry flukes on them when you buy them.

If they have gill flukes, they will have had them for their whole lives and slowly be succumbing to them. I really want to treat with Droncit, dammit!

Yeah I wish it was that easy. If he found out I did it without his input my life won't be worth living...

What I really need is a vet that can actually prescribe treatment including doses. (Even though I already know all that!) He had a hernia at the fact that I was taking dosages off the net. For some reason, he would trust the advice of a vet. But I can't find one anywhere! Even if there was one anywhere in NZ that I could email... Man, I'd give anything to find a vet who could confirm the dose and then hubby would follow directions.

Does anyone know of any vets or vet nurses in NZ that I can call or email who actually knows about fish and prazi/Droncit????

Sorry Kelsta... mine had lumps at the same time on their body and some just developed a hole in their tail fin. The ram has a hole in its tail and a white mark above its eye.

Isnt the bird wormer better for flukes? Avesamole (sp?) It is available online here in NZ and dosent have the same toxicity as the other drugs.

Oh thanks for that kd123 :)

Actaully, pure praziquantel is the best treatment available for treating Flukes because it's extremely gentle, completely non-toxic to all varieties of fish and plants and doesn't affect your filter, and is very effective at completing erradicating the flukes. In NZ, you can get pure prazi in the form of Droncit tablets from vets. It's used for treating cats and dogs, but is ideal because it is pure prazi with no other ingredients.

Problem is most vets arenot familiar with fish, but they will still sell it to you if you explain what you're doing :wink:

i would be tending to think parasitic as well, but internal parasites rather than external gill flukes i had a discus which seemed to have internal parasites. It developed a small lump in the base of its fin which grew larger and larger eventually turning in to an open wound which went through the base of hte body through to the other side :o At the same time the red melon discus i had also developed severe finrot which i think was secondary to a parasite problem, likewise he is completely healed now

heres the thread on mine, have a look and see if its similar at all

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/next-v ... c&start=15

i treated with metronidazole and daily water changes, which eventually cured it but it took a long time, he's now all cured but still has the scar..