Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

glossostigma

Featured Replies

Just wanted some advice on glossostigma as I am looking at getting some but want to know how hard/easy it is to grow in an aquarium, I know its needs a good amount of light and our tank is 60+cms deep...

What kind of gravel/substrate should be used for best response etc.

Thanks!

:D

It is a very small plant with small roots and is not easy to plant so it would be easiest in sand or very fine gravel. Very difficult to plant in standard gravel. Requires very good light and 600mm is a tall tank.

It is normally grown emersed so it will be difficult to convert to submersed growth in a tropical aquarium at this time of year. I have some and could send you a bit for $5.00 p&p only but I would advise against it unless you have intense light like metal halides.

  • Author

Hmm no thats great advice thanks Alan its what I needed to know, as I wasnt sure with the tank being so deep, the lights arent that good either, so maybe I'll leave it as a project for a smaller tank.

Do you know any plants that have that same sort of look/effect in a tank that doesnt require such intense light (and isnt tasty to silver distichodus :lol: )

)

  • Author

Yeah from what Ive read its better grown in a shallow tank with intense lighting, or in a pond.

Which sucks because as far as aquascaping goes its the look I wanted.

ah well... another cool solution may be xmas moss. :D

Or, if you found the ultimate piece of driftwood, with a shallow depression on the right side at the right height you could put substrate in there and have a driftwood planterbox with glosso in it :o

That would be cool 8)

Saw a great tank once I think it was just java moss and caboomba. Glosso isn't as hard as riccia. This is the glosso carpet I grew in a 50cm deep tank but I had a 400w metal hallide light above it. It was a lot of fun but next time I'd do 2 metal hallides at each end so it covers the whole bottom. It has a great carpet effect...

My300Ltank.jpg

Even with that light it eventually it all died off.....apparently the reason is is that in the wild it grows sometimes submersed other times right out of the water which of course it never had in that tank. I see riccia as harder cos you have to tie it all down, no roots at all

Came back after a 12 days and my glosso is growing well out of the water.

Its going crazy :D

Reminds me to get going on "project super nano"

Ricca is a pest IMO once its gets growing :roll:

hah yea riccia can grow like wildfire esp under metal hallide and create a matt that blocks light to the plants below......but if you put the effort in and tie it down or grow it through stockings and attach it to rocks and driftwood it looks magic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.