Clown Loach

Wazza

Hey Wazza, nice pic, and great fun to watch fish....I had a couple a while back, but sadly one commited suicide, when it jumped out of the tank (through a very narrow gap) while i was at work one day.......the other I think became stressed at being alone, and suffered from an irreversable case of whitespot (probably my error at the time...I was a relative novice)

However looking at that picture, im wondering if in fact you do have two Clown Loaches!!!! To me it looks like the following options.....

1: You have taken a picture of you single Clown Loach, while it has been close to the glass of your tank, and have simply photographed its reflection :D

or 2: You have very talented "mirror image" performers in your tank.... :lol:

ChrisMack

Hi, I'm told that they grow to about 10 inches in the wild, but normally about about 6 in the tank. Ask me in few years time to see. Mine have grown about 2cm in the last 2 months if thats any indidcation.

They are just fun to watch and they love riding up the bubbles from an air stone. They dig alot for food from the gravel don't care about the other fishes. Mine spend alot of time together side by side.

As Doch says they mine the gravel and often between them and the Firemouths the entire floor of the tank has a different shape to what it was the day before, rocks buried one day the completely un-covered the next and then the there is the sound of gravel being tosed at the tank glass.

I'm looking for another pair, but all I have found so far just don't look right.

rtbshark.jpg

Here is one of my RTB-Sharks, unfortunately they swim at warp speed and hate having their photo taken. I know this is not the best shot (Photo taken at high res and 800 ISO), but he is hansom. Since I moved his mate to the other tank they have both developed a richer colour in their tails. In fact the other one in the Tinfoil tank chases the Tinfoils in a game of tag.

• 4 weeks later...

On the subject of clown loaches, does anyone else's sleep on thier sides?

I have 2, and recently I rearranged my tank, and closed up a gap where they used to hide alot so that I could see them more. Ever since I did this, they have started sleeping on top of the rock, and slowly roll onto their side or sometimes even on their back as they fall asleep! At first I was alarmed, and thought they were sick, but now they do it every night.

I will try and get a photo to show.

From what i undestand it's pretty normal behaviour for the clown loaches......they dont call them clowns for nothing.....guess they had the last laugh for a while...as they saw thier stressed owner 'freaking out' :lol:

I would be concerned if they decided to 'sleep' upside down near the waters surface!!! :o

They are indeed a neat fish, and who knows...someday I might try to keep them again....

ChrisMack

Clown loaches sleep upside down, on their side, head down, tail down, floating around the tank, on top of each other, wedged between rocks or any other way that strikes them as comfortable at the time.:)

I have 5 Clowns at the moment, and yes some of them sleep on their sides, but I have found that the 5 will sleep together in a heap (side by side never on top of each other).

They love to play with each other and with the other fish, 1 little 1 spends a lot of time riding the air bubbles up then swim down the bubbles to do it again. They eat anything and you must have a tunnel for them to swim in.

You need to be very careful about stress with them, when they get stressed they hide for hours and go paler in colour, but after a few hours (6 -7) they back to normal.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i have just set up my first tank ever and really like clowns as well. I have read that you should keep them in a group of at least 3-5

Is that true or would 2 be fine as well? I want to get some soon but they are not the cheapest fish around ($15 each?)

• 3 weeks later...