Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Using energy savers as a light source

Featured Replies

Would it be viable to use good old philips energy saver light bulbs in the aquarium hood? Or, would it simply be better to go with conventional fluoro tubes?

I think I intend to have some plants in the tank but not heaps. Any suggestions as to what would work best? (trying to save a little money)

Thanks

Yes you can use them, I have used them for a small planted. What I found is that they heat up alot and made the hood get very hot and I could have ditched the heater in the tank because of this.

I would play with them and test, I used "cool white" lights, got them from m10 the budget ones.

Yes, they work OK, especially for small tanks.

I think the 'daylight' colour ones are better. They have a higher frequency, more blue light. They will be OK for low light plants anyway. I use them but dont have any live plants in my tanks, except for some stray java moss.

Ian

mmm... I s'pose these would also work in my terrarium right? If so, what colour (K rating) do you think I should get?

Am going for the 'bottom level of native(ish) bush' look, so will be a bit dark, but right now its wayyyyyy too dark without a light...

Cheers,

George

p.s. sorry for hijcking :oops:

mmm... I s'pose these would also work in my terrarium right? If so, what colour (K rating) do you think I should get?

Am going for the 'bottom level of native(ish) bush' look, so will be a bit dark, but right now its wayyyyyy too dark without a light...

Cheers,

George

p.s. sorry for hijcking :oops:

6500k ish, sunlight

Bottom level of native bush = dark, wet and slow growth

100w will be over kill, see what wattages you can find

i have 6400k 18w fluro tube on my terraium tubes cost less than 7 at bunnings, energey savers work good too as they are a similar ouput i just put one in a big desk lamp and had it over a large glass bowl i had plants in and minnows

ATM I have one of those little JB09 screw-on lights, its 9w, but I'm not sure of K. I will be able to ride into town tomorrow arvo, will have to have a look-see then.

How do I tell the K rating?? Will it have it on the box or what?

Snookie, whadga mean aussie bush? Aussie bush is either full of gum tree bark or on fire :lol: :roll:

Cheers,

George

ATM I have one of those little JB09 screw-on lights, its 9w, but I'm not sure of K. I will be able to ride into town tomorrow arvo, will have to have a look-see then.

How do I tell the K rating?? Will it have it on the box or what?

Snookie, whadga mean aussie bush? Aussie bush is either full of gum tree bark or on fire :lol: :roll:

Cheers,

George

Look on the box, some dont state

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.