Suicidal Siamese.....

Spink

Does anyone else have any experiences with suicidal siamese fighters?

I now have had two females who have managed to get themselves stuck in the output part of the filter in my tank, and both have died from the stress and damage :cry: Why do they do this?!!!!

FYI - the first one I actually had to wiggle her out to get her out, and still cringe at the memory :o ; the second one (RIP Fook You) popped out reasonably easily, still hated to do it, and she hadn't been in there long, but the damage was done, and she met the porcelain highway this morning. :cry:

Other than plugging up the hole, which I assume was there for a reason, what do I do!!! My other female (Fook Me - don't blame me, my husband named them...) :roll: now seems lonely and needs a new girlfriend - after the first girl died, I'm sure her 'girlfriend' died of loneliness, so do I get another one?

I have a Jebo R3100 which has all the filter bits built in. Water is sucked up through the pipe on the left, dribbled over the filter medium, then let back out through a pipe on the right. Jeez I wish I could draw a picture! :x There is a normal round pipe which goes down into the tank, and attached to that there is like a V shaped pipe, almost like a round pipe which has been squashed and then bent at at 45 degree angle. Does that make sense? In the bottom part of the V shaped bit in the narrow bit, there is a small round hole, about the size of the old 5 cent piece - don't know what it's for but i guess it's a way of breaking up the flow of the water coming back in to the tank. Does that make it a bit easier to understand?

0k, will try to make some kind of picture with what text I have... bear with me! Haven't figured out how upload pics yet. :x

I I

/ \ kinda looks like this from the front, but imagine it in 3D

The little hole is in the middle of the upside down V part...

Does anyone understand? It is a hole that is meant to be there as it is professionally cut, and there are no bits missing

bettas are really inquisitive. She was probably just thinking "Hmmm, whats THAT ova there??......hmm i'll check it out.......oh cool!.......OH Cr@p!!!! HELP!!"

Kinda like the kids or dogs of the fish world, you have to "proof" their tank for them. If they can bite it, eat it, or obviously stick their head in it, they will.

Sorry for your losses. R.I.P little ladies!

Hi Spink,

I have an Aqua One tank with the same above filter setup and a hole in the outlet like yours. Most people here seem to think she's getting stuck in the intake but I know what you're talking about. That hole is to allow water to flow straight down and prevent any "dead water" under the outlet. You can do a couple of things to prevent this from happening again, one being the steel or plastic mesh idea which I'd try and silicone on, or you can wrap the whole outlet with an old stocking which will prevent this from happening again but if the stocking gets clogged up the water will start to overflow the box filter and go on the floor. I'd try the mesh solution.

Love the names, by the way :) Come over for a coffee sometime, always nice to meet local fishy friends ;)

Blue

YAY!!!! Thank Goodness someone else out there understands me! :bounce: I think everyone else thought I was nuts! :roll:

Thanks for the suggestion Blue - any suggestions on type of mesh, and more importent, can anyone name a brand of silicone/glue that is safe for use in aquariums? Would be handy to know for later when i want to glue rocks etc together :D

I know what you were on about. It's the spreader at the end of the outlet pipe with a hole in the bottom. Just seal it with silicon. Cut a piece of plastic bigger than the hole and stick it over the hole with silicon. Clear silicon that is use for glass will do.(Selleys, Silaflex or look at trade me)