Kuhli loaches

mitzy

Acanthophthalmus myersi is the name of fish in article.

Grows to 10-12 cm.

Males are slim, Females have a more robust ventral regien with green ovaries showing through. The fish spawn below the surface,sidebyside, in a gliding motion, with such speed that whirlpools and waves are created on the surface repeated at intervals of 5-10minutes for 2-4 hours.

The temp should be around 26,ph 6.5,8dgh and up to 1dch. Greenish wggs 1mm in diameter hatch in 24hours.

Doesnt say what induces spawning though. :-?

I had some a few years back that bred. Totally accidental though.

The wee narrow ones with more colour are males, the fatter more boring looking ones (which you don't often see in shops) are females.

Thought they were different species until they started sprinting around right at the surface together. Greenish sinking eggs. I was too stunned at what i was seeing to react. My kind jewel cichlids were on station to hoover each and every egg :-(

There was sun streaming into the tank at the time. They never repeated it, total fluke with water conditions at the time i suspect!

Hi All.

Some useful information for budding breeders. :wink:

If you want to breed some species;

Redtail Black Shark......................Labeo bicolour

Kuhli Loach..................................Acanthopthalmus semisinctus

you have to do it artificially.

It is done by hypophysation of the male and an injection of synthetic gonadotrophin given intramuscularly to both the male and female.. :oops:

If you can achieve that then you are on the way to a sucessful spawning.

If you cant get to that stage give up and breed something that will breed for you without artificial help.

:bow:

If you want a fish to breed naturally in an aquarium environment you must provide the typical conditions that would be found in the wild, that will trigger their "biological clock".

This includes water chemistry: do they live in a flood zone, a monsoon zone, or tropical zone that gets a wet season. If it does, then during the dry season the water levels drop, the DOC's and TDS levels become high. Then it rains etc. and the pH, temperature and chemistry level changes rapidly in a short space of time.

Then there is typical make-up of the river or water course. Do they live in a flowing and/or fast current? Is it full of wood and branches? It is a rocky river bed, or a sandy, silty bed?

What types of plants grow in the water? Are they shade plants on the surface, or reedy and grassy plants in the water? Is the water covered by trees and bushes, or is it in the middle of a flood plain under the open sun all day?

Then there is food. Do the fish eat bugs and larvae normally? Or are they scavengers?

If you want a fish like Kuhli to breed, or regularly, then you have to make a concerted effort to replicate normal conditions, and seasonal conditions to initiate their body cycle. You have to be able to check the boxes, and cover most, if not all of the bases.

It is all very well to have fish and want them to breed in an aquarium. But with fish that have been proven to only breed regularly by artificial hormone treatment in an aquarium environment then you have to put one hell of a lot of effort in to get them to breed naturally. These fish have had a long time to evolve successfully in their native region, and relatively few successive generations of life in captivity.

That being said, seeing it has happened spontaneously, there is at least a slim chance you can pull if off. Good luck to you if you are going to try!

Thanks everyone for all the info, I am going to at some stage attempt it.

I will try and create there natural habitat etc and hopefully i have some success or flukes lol.

How many do you think i should get to try with, I have 4 at the moment and not sure if any are female though there is one that is real plump in the guts but may be fat lol.

What kind of plants do you think they would like, I have loads of grass plants but couldnt find anything to say what type of plants to use.

If you want a fish to breed naturally in an aquarium environment you must provide the typical conditions that would be found in the wild, that will trigger their "biological clock".

I googles it and says clear water , slow flowing river, sandy river, but didnt say what plants etc ,

But other sites say different thing but this had a picture of the same kuhlie loaches so hopefully.

I am going to at some stage try to do this with kuhlis or Dwarf chain loaches some time in a empty 3foot tank ive got and try to match the water chemistry as best i can.And I would say a group of atleast 12 would be best.

Out of Dixon1990 and Me surely one of us will have some luck. Would be pretty cool to breed them.

They natively live in a tropical climate and prefer water with a 5.5 - 6.5 pH, a water hardness of 5.0 dGH, and a temperature range of 75 - 86 °F (24 - 30 °C). Kuhli Loaches only eat algae and usually in the night time.

from wikipedia

Only eat algae?

Now that was interesting.

I am gonna give it a go in the next week well getting the tank ready etc ,

I am gonna use thick sand i think umm still thinking on that lol

Do you think a thirty litre well be ok, Its 1 metre long so plenty of room etc or should i use a bigger tank ?