Where to find really dark gravel?

rollergirl

I mean really dark!

Looking at setting up a new planted freshwater tank (well actually just merging a couple of smaller tanks into one larger one) and I have been trawling across planted tank forums for inspiration. I found one that I absolutely love the look of (heres the link if anyones interested: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myTanks/20-yoink.html ), he calls the substrate "Tahitian moon sand"...but I doubt this is available in NZ? :(

I was just wondering if anyone here knows of where I could find something of an equivalent shade? The darkest I've seen is Brightwater gravel which is more of a muddy grey colour as we know... I really want something a bit more dramatic. If anyone has any ideas, let me know!

Calcium carbonate is white, which is the exact opposite of dark.

That stuff according to the auction is granite which is pretty much inert.

Ohhh FACEPALM lol I totally read the auction wrong. Too late for me maybe! :lol: So you don't think granite will raise Ph too much then? I think it looks pretty good in that case!

HFF sell 40kg bags of dark gravel for $25. When wet it is very dark brown/charcoal colour.

I'm pretty sure that is the Brightwater type gravel which I have in some of my tanks and does look lovely...Just not quite dark enough for what I want this time around :P

Ohhh FACEPALM lol I totally read the auction wrong. Too late for me maybe! :lol: So you don't think granite will raise Ph too much then? I think it looks pretty good in that case!

Nope, I don't think it will have a measurable effect on your PH.

They have a pretty good range! Think I'll still go for the Granite as it looks to be closest to what the inspirational picture has (anyone checked it out btw?) ... It's very much black gravel. But may pop into Stone and Water word and check out what their darker stuff looks like wet anyway, I'm always keen for a bargain 8)