Faulty heater!

Caper

Re: Goldies tank

The reason I keep a heater in with them is because of the ottos (well, down to 1 posted in another section). I've always kept the heater set to approximately 68 although in the summer the temp obviously goes up and in the winter it usually stays at a temp of 72 (house is heated in winter).

The day before yesterday I was feeding the fishies and I thought this feels a little cool but looked at thermometer, 72. Just figured it felt cool because hand was warm from just washing.

Yesterday, I put my hand in to feed and :o this feels warmer than usual. Looked at thermometer around 79! Looked at the heater which was almost the same temp setting, which I didn't change. I put it down some but when I came home from work the temp in the tank still was up.

Figured the heater was not working properly so disconnected it all together. Today the temp is going down. I've heard of heaters staying on before but never going up on their own, anybody experienced this before?

Caper

Hey Caper, Yeah the same thing has happened to me aswell, twice :o , I put the heater in one of my tanks and it just stayed on and heated the water up and up, fortunately I noticed this so didn't put the fish in that tank. It also happend in our turtle tank, the thermostat broke and when we came back from holiday we saw the water BUBBLING ( :o ) and the turtles all together on the rocks. Hope you fish are alright :)

You see Ira, Brad mentioned thermostat. When that goes in a heater, the heater will stay on, therefore a rise in temp & it will continue to rise.

What has happened with you for the water to go cold, is that part of the electrics in the heater has blown, shorted etc, causing the heater not to work at all anymore.

Heaters when they go wrong, do one of the 2... well hang on 3. They can break too.

Frenchy :D

Ira wrote:

Most(Or many) tend to drift a bit over time. Just turn it down a bit.

Oh and I thought you Canadians were supposed to use the correct degrees

I tried turning it down but it didn't work. I unplugged it because I was nervous that it would end up cooking my fish.

:lol: :lol: I am soooo old school...I HATE the metric system. It is very, very rare that I use it. The funny thing is the only time I do now is when talking about the weather but my heater doesn't register in metric.

herefishiefishie wrote:

Brad mentioned thermostat. When that goes in a heater, the heater will stay on, therefore a rise in temp & it will continue to rise

Ok, understand what you mean by the heater staying on so obviously the temp in the tank will rise as well. But do you also mean the heater as well, because it went from registering approximately 68 up to almost 79?

Caper

No there was nobody here but me and the cats. They couldn't turn the heater up though :o . I've never seen them up on this tank but even so they couldn't rub against it enough to make it turn.

That's what is baffling me; the fact that the heater itself was higher! But then if there is a thermostat in them and it failed couldn't it just keep going up if it was reading the temp wrong?

Caper

I can't see anything causing that dial to turn other than human hands and mine were the only ones around.

The heater has been garbaged! Obviously there was something wrong since the temp in the tank only went down once I unplugged the heater.

Right now I only have the 2 goldies in there anyway. I moved the lone otto in the other 29 gallon with the other ottos, I was worried because he was not coming out of hiding at all since his fellow ottos went to fishy heaven.

I'm going to keep on eye on the temp in the goldies tank. I don't think I'll have to put a heater in with the goldies as the temp was always 72 (will increase once summer comes). The only time I'll have to really watch is when it's coming on winter and I get really stubborn about turning my heat on :evil: :lol:

Thanks for all the help folks :bow::bow:

Caper