Betta's

NPnewbie

Siamese fighters differ greatly in temperament. I've had some that were really violent, my worst is actually a female who loves disembowelling guppies and now has to live in a 'breeding net' to protect the other fish in the tank, but most are fine. Some males just can't be kept with other long finned fish but most will only nip every so often if at all and if you keep them with reasonably tough fish and don't mind slightly nipped fins they're fine. Guppies are perfect for keeping with fighters, I do without any problems (with the exception of my grumpy female, Scelesta).

What you really need to watch is other fish nipping the fighter's fins. Any fish that have even slightly aggressive tendencies will find those long trailing fins irresistable and will tear them to shreds. If the worst comes to the worst, spend $5 to $10 on a large breeding net and keep them in that. Be aware that some have a tendency to jump so be careful with anything without a lid.

I don't know about angels, I don't have any.

They're fine with tetras and bristlenoses too.

My personally tested list of successful combinations with fighters:

Guppies

Tetras (Neon)

Bristlenoses

Kuhli loaches

Platies

Black ghost knife fish (until it grows too large)

Zebra danios

They're fine with almost anything.

yea my male fighter is fine... apart from one rouge gourami, those two just dont get along.

Iv only had problems with a dwarf puffer nibbling fins of one of my old fighters.... but i never expected that relationship to work :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The only ones I'd be cautious about are guppies and danios(bettas have a taste for thier fins) and other labyrinth fish such as gouramis they just don't seem to get along. And female bettas are a big gamble, if they are to small and not ready to breed when he is he will kill them. The other thing to watch is the flow from the filter, the tend to like very slow moving water and if the current is to strong the will clamp up thier fins and become very unsociable.

• 1 month later...

I have a betta (Jack) who is the light of my life so I'm naturally very wary of what I put in with him. Personally, I have found Jack preferred to have only one of the females with him - if I add others he kills them and hangs onto the older one each time, yet he's never tried to breed with her. I have Albino Corys and dwarf gouramis. He's fine with them and has no stress at all. He hates the glass cats and vice versa, I have only just realised they pick on him so they are about to be rehomed.

Admittedly, I think Jack is a bit gay, soft and strange in the head though. The first tank he was in had neons in it and he kept eating their tails, so i rehomed him but made the mistake of putting the tanks side by sde - everytime he sees the neons in the other tank he gets rather anal and puffs himself up. Personally I think the neons called him names and he feels he needs to assert authority to let the rest of the community think hes a man.

Serious, having Jack is the best. He comes to the front of the tank whenever I sit in front of it and does little "dances" for me showing off his gorgeous blue and red hues. Despite the challenges I have had in introducing him within a community I still think He's worth his weight in gold (which probably isn't much come to think of it............" :oops: