Pond pumps: quiet?

Stella

1000 LPH is barely even a powerhead!:P I have a couple Via Aqua 1300s too. They're good and cheap, only thing is after a while they don't want to restart. Nothing poking a toothpick or other convenient long object in to poke the impeller won't fix.

Occasionally they get noisy, usually it's because something's wrapped itself around the impeller.

Did you try the pumps you tried pumping water or just plug them in and listen? As they will be alot quieter when pumping water.. As everyone else has said if you don't want to pump that much water you can get a powerhead cheaply.. Check trademe pond pumps on there are cheap..

I realised I may be seriously underestimating the size pump. 1000ltph would probably be fine for a 2 foot tank for my needs (assuming the second hand ones were putting out the appropriate volume) but maybe not for a four foot.... which is my new plan.

Ok, this is what i am doing:

I want to set up a four foot tank as a very fast flowing stream habitat for various native fish who like it FAST. I want some serious movement and turbulence in there. The tank will not be very high, maybe 30cm water depth. There will be lots of big stones for the water to tumble over and provide refuge for the fish.

Any suggestions on pump size?

Ryanjury: Yes I did have them underwater. I think some just aren't working properly (impeller doesn't run smoothly and others just rattle and annoy me.

Sounds like you're going to be looking at more like 5000+ LPH That's what I have in my 4 foot and it's enough to get the water throughout the tank gently swirling, but not fast. Once I get around to it I plan to try throwing my pair of Seio M820s in, that will be another 6000 LPH.