question about really tropical fish

DantezGirl

You have to remember Brad to. Water in most places in NZ is better quality than that here in Aussie. Some places don't even have to use neutralisers. {Lucky buggers}

Brad is just poking at peoples reasonings, for which he is right. When it comes to making statements to back up a claim, be prepared for someone to offer a fact if you are wrong.

I agree fish can handle more than what people think. You still have to be aware of what you have got. I n my case I add salts & buffers to my water. So I have to be careful what I put into the tank. Those that don't use buffers, tank water similar ph to tap water. no dramas really. "Minor" temp changes don't do much damage to the fish at all.

Frenchy :D

wow, I would say more arse than class there. Be very careful. I would be very cautious doing water changes that way with Lake Tangy's. Then again, I don't know the quality of your water there either.

Don't worry, that was about three years ago, I got bored with the africans and haven't kept them for years. :lol:

That said, I never had any problems with them, and they always appeared happy and healthy.

The only fish that hated cold water changes were the discus :) And they still got them they got over it a day later all the others don't seem to care, even the jullies with egg/newly hatched babies don't mind, however I only do 20% a week so think the temp drop would be low.

Hans I would suggest you have a quick look at Lake Tanganyika

The water doesnt change temp much all year round

Plus being so deep and its Location it prevents water Turnover

What kind of fish are you keeping????

The temp hardly changes all year round

So doing large water changes isnt recommended for these fish

Yeah you might get away with for awhile

Justin Im not talking about the water condition just about the temp change

I understand the water conditions are alot better

Brad

Hans I would suggest you have a quick look at Lake Tanganyika

The water doesnt change temp much all year round

Plus being so deep and its Location it prevents water Turnover

Thats fine, im not debating that the temp doesnt change much

What kind of fish are you keeping????

The temp hardly changes all year round

So doing large water changes isnt recommended for these fish

Yeah you might get away with for awhile

Justin Im not talking about the water condition just about the temp change

I understand the water conditions are alot better

Brad

Datnoids, Platties, Kulhis, Bichirs, NZ native's, hoplos just to name a few

Iv read reports on the lake, it doesnt say that the lake is the same temp @ 0m and 2m. If there is low turnover wouldn't this cause more temp differences at 0m compared to 2m?

I know some fish live on the surface and some in other levels, fish dive down and swim up after food and away from predators, this entering diff water temps

I dont think changing 30% of the water @ 22c(into a tank of say 25) will make that much difference to the fish IMO

You have your views and i have mine, let leave it at at that shall we?

I agree hans it won't make a difference, with what you are doing.

Brad I was adding the water conditions as when people started mentioning large water changes, this has to be taken into effect as well.

Thats funny han, you just stated your not going to debate the temp changes much. Then you come out, but if the lake is so stable... :lol:

If you really want to know, I can link you to a site & give you information on a couple of books to read. :lol:

Good to see the olde site hasn't changed much.

Yes you have your opinions Hanz and based on the fish you keep thats fine

Keep doing your large water changes

And changing water with a difference of only a couple of degrees wont change much at all This I agree with

I simply stated it depends on what fish you keep whether this a good idea or not

As fish from Lake Tanganyika dont get large fluctuation's of temperature in the wild then doing it in a small system isnt a good thing

Take Frontosa for an example

These fish like to be kept in a range of 24 to 26oC

In the wild they live upto 50 metres down sometimes further

Yet the water temp down that far still doesnt drop much below the surface temp

Africa as a whole can be considered quite a hot place so the water never gets a chance to cool down

Though with your fish they will handle the change in temp as it does happen in the wild

All we all have to remember that some fish are different and they dont all require the exact same care

I think conditioning has some part to play in keeping fish in an aquarium. If you have regular habits and cleaning regimes your fish will learn and acclimatise to your habits. Whether its specific feeding times, regular water changes, cold water changes etc. As long as your practices are not extreme *most* fish will be fine and adjust.

Just my 2 cents worth.

True, having worked in import rooms seeing what fish go through. Mass water changes, getting ship around in boxes.... People reckon discus are fickle, yet they survive all this. Sometimes not in great shape. but usually lol.

Lake Tangy's will get there soon, some species that have been in circulation already are what you would call tough. Most Lake malawi species have been in circulation for ages.

Use care with Wild caughts & German Bred new imports, if you are lucky enough to get your hands on some. I got some new into the country Electric Yellows last year, man they were touchy. Now days, slow fill up with the hose, no dramas.

But I know from raising altolamprologus species as an example. I have to be so cautious with the water quality. I have tried not to be as an experiment, with bad results. :roll: As in quicker water changes, using a higher % of water change as I got lazy....Yet the parents I can be a bit rougher with.

The majority of people can pretty much do what they want. Just know what you are keeping. You do have to be a little cautious, if wanting to breed Discus well, you do need soft water. Its the same with me with plants. Grow plants in the wrong ph, ie; roses. Sure they will grow, flower & such. But no where near as good as those kept in ideal conditions.