Frontosa Colony on TM - vetting the buyer????

carla

This has been on TM several times now. Due to the high price the fish haven't been sold so far.

However the seller writes: **I reserve the right to not sell these frontosa to any person who i feel is inexperienced or have inappropriate equipment**

This is not possible as far as I know. The first one to reach reserve price will buy them - if the seller likes it or not. A contract has been entered into and the fish have to be sold to the highest bidder. There is no vetting of the buyer involved at all!!!

If the seller is so worried about the fish - then they must be sold by advertising, NOT through an auction site!

Thought maybe others might benefit from looking into this too.

This has been on TM several times now. Due to the high price the fish haven't been sold so far.

However the seller writes: **I reserve the right to not sell these frontosa to any person who i feel is inexperienced or have inappropriate equipment**

This is not possible as far as I know. The first one to reach reserve price will buy them - if the seller likes it or not. A contract has been entered into and the fish have to be sold to the highest bidder. There is no vetting of the buyer involved at all!!!

If the seller is so worried about the fish - then they must be sold by advertising, NOT through an auction site!

Thought maybe others might benefit from looking into this too.

I agree :wink:

Yep there was this discussion on TM before especially with dogs. TM then decided that they should be sold by ad not by auction to circumvent exactly that problem that somebody wins the auction, turns up - and you REALLY do NOT want to hand over that dog ...

However I am not sure if you can do an ad with fish ??

P.S.: What are you hanging about here snookie - you should be at the pub - or at the club meeting...

Tropheus

Get real Mod. Just the same work that happens to you when you get drunk and starts with "P".

I don't drink... nor do I break the site rules.

Where do we draw the line...?

Just because you may use these words in your everyday speech.. does not mean you can use them freely here...

Let it be known... that "I" don't make the rules here.. and if "I" can abide by them... surely you can.

The English language is extensive enough without resorting to swearing on the forums.

Bill.

My flatmate works high up in trademe, and its allowed...

I think its good too - I wouldn't want my fronts going to someone who couldn't look after them...

Agreed, the auction details form the wording of the contract which a buyer agrees to when they bid on the auction. Any terms and conditions that are in the auction are legally binding so if a seller states that they wish to screen the buyer before selling the fish that's it, done deal. This would be impossible if the fish were to be shipped around the country but since it's pick-up only it's completely feasable. Good on them for wanting their babies to go to a good home only.

I asked how she can police this, for example if I hit buy now and turned up to pick up, how does she know if I have the equipment she requires and how she can know what sort of person I am,I asked how she can police this, and I got blacklisted.

I guess they would ask a millions questions when you turn up. It isnt hard to pick a amateur.

If I was you "sandyme" I would start off with small juv's as its half the fun watching them grow and cheaper on the pocket.

This way you can spend the rest of your money on alcohol

fair enough IMO. They are cool looking fish and newbs with an interest and money might purchase them only to try and keep them in the wrong sort of conditions.

re getting blacklisted - seems a lot of people trawl through the site making comments (about conditions, the trader, the prices etc) when they don't actually intend to participate in the auction so sellers have little patience with them... a bit stink they lumped you in with that lot but perhaps they got a bit miffed by your comment.

Its all nice and good and I wholeheartedly agree to the idea to check out where the pets go.

However according to TM rules the seller HAS to sell to the highest bidder once reserve is reached. If he wants to vet the people before then thats fine (not sure how you would do that through an auction where he doesn't know whos going to bid in the last 2 minutes! - you really have to put an ad up for that).

I do NOT believe that TM would be happy if somebody pays 1000 dollars and doesn't get the fish. Cause they have entered a contract.

And what is the seller going to do then? Ask TM for a refund for the $42 success fee, cause he doesn't want to fulfill his part of the contract? Tricky!

I would never sell at auction if I am worried where my pets would go.

Well it seems that people with 23 feedbacks know more about the legality of auction sites than TM itself:

"Just for sandras benefit - this auction is an offer to be accepted with a bid - in the offer, terms are specifically stated in the auction. This means that legally, the person making the offer has the right to not sell these fish to people who are not considered to be competent....."

Amazing really! :lol:

so the more trades you've made the more you know about the rules of TM? aren't the terms & conditions available to anyone to check out?

This person is within their rights to have peace of mind that their fish are going to someone who can look after them properly. There is no chance for confusion as they are clear that this is a condition of the auction.

I'd imagine that anyone thinking of bidding (unless they are taking the proverbial) has a setup that will meet the needs of the fish.