The Best Water for Cardinals

Dixon1990

What are the best Water Conditions for Cardinal Tetras?

I have a 25cm cube planted tank for 6 cardinals and want to have the best water i can give them. What is the best reccomended temp and ph? And what kind of lighting brings out ther colours best?

My Cardinals are big and happy. They're kept in a 28C neutral pH tank with 30% water changes twice a week. MH lighting really sets off the colours, particularly the blue. Fed on colourbits and I hate to say the school of them impresses people more if not as much as the discus ;)

If I were to compare them to other fish from the same region (i.e. Amazon) I would put them in fairly acidic water. About pH 6.0-6.5 . Temperatures fluctuate in the natural environment but a good range would probably be about +/-26 degrees C. Fish will addapt to most conditions within a reasonable range of that but it is when you want them to breed that conditions have to be more favourable for them.

Think about it. Amazon fish generally rely on the monsoon period for the young to survive. If they spawn too late the fry would have to survive during the dry season with less food in turn making them an easier meal for others because there is less water to hide in.

The monsoon would lower the temperature of the water by a few degrees, hence the reason why some fish will spawn after a water change.

There are many more of these types of situations that can affect the way you keep your fish, it just depends to what lengths you want to go to.

I breed them in 180 L tank thats 75% full of java moss all over drift wood

{ actually 500 year old Puri that died years ago in my place}

it slowly rots giving the idea water..Just 100 % rain at 29 C

I keep just around 10 as mixed M & F...The area has to be quite dark in the moss or eggs will die from the light..

Feed heaps of live BB shrimps into moss..Fry will hide there and come out when about 10mm..Never see before that..I have sold 200 this year..Breed here..

I have a black rubbish bag of the end..There ..A free tip..get breeding..

Se my notes about quarantine rooms.. :evil: