Appisto guru's..

ryanjury

Firstly I should say I have never met or dealt with you and that I think all of the speices you have imported to NZ are great for the hobby and this wasn't personal at all, no matter who had started that auction if they had publically suggested creating hybrids I would have done the same.

Hey yeah there are plenty of discus types but they are all strain's of the same fish ie they have the same scientiffic name therefore there are no problems with breeding all the strains together to create different ones.

Your example with cockatoo's is different to what you have suggested orange flash cockatoo's tripple red's and your wilds are all the same fish, all of those colour varieties have been developed from wild strain so they are the same fish..

To me you have imported 2 different fish, they have to be different as they have different sc. names and that was what they were imported as if they were the same they would have the same sc. name and strains or colour varieties as well. Yes they will be similair as they are all appisto's but different, alot of tetra's or danio's are similair should we just cross all of them?

IMO we have a few small number of descent fish in NZ and you as a professional breeder should not be suggesting cross breeding 2 different species and potentially ruining both species in NZ.

[quote imported the cichlids and worked out the types with Peru experts,They cannot tell the differences..Its quite simple..They breed with each other in the wild..So are natural....The only diff is a red spot by a fin and all came in one shipment as fry..Breed in there tanks from wild caught parents..They are all one strain but was given the two names to use when big enough to see the slight diff..Anyway...

Phill Collis

if they are the same strain then why do they have different scientific names? c'mon.

think you missed ryan's point there are very limited apistos available in nz, and crossing two species is doing nothing for the hobby, bar creating ugly hybrid fish. the only person who may benefit is you, by selling them.

if everyone started creating hybrid fish it will end up like dogs, all these x-breed mongrels, bloody cavoodles and labradoodles and schnoodles.

getting pretty ridiculous IMO

Ok, some one alerted me to this thread, I've read it and I will respond...

First of, for members that don't know me I breed some Apisto.'s but my main love is killifish.

X breeding of either type is something I would NEVER agree with. I am very much of the opinion of keeping species in there natural type - even the same species from different locations.

Although not defending anyone the 2 fish in question do look alike, are they the same species - possibly - possibly not.

Many Apisto.'s look alike but when examined by Ichthyologists they are found to be quit different.

Has any one Googled Apistogramma huallaga???, you wont find it, as it does not exist - why - well quite simple, huallaga is a river = Rio Huallaga.

Apistogramma huallaga is an Apisto. from the river Huallaga!!.

So is X breeding possible with no change to the offspring from the Parents, don't know. What I do know is it is something I would discourage(as above).

By the way the species called Apisto. Eunotus has been looked at by Apisto. experts in the States and it has been decided they are not Apistogramma Eunotus, rather Apisto. cf Eunotus = a species that looks very much like Apisto. Eunotus but is not, this information was past on.

So is Apistogramma huallaga a species with unto it's self(as yet unidentified) or Apisto. Eunotus from the Rio Huallaga or Apisto. cf Eunotus from the Rio Huallaga.

?? Xbreeding, I wonder WHY it is something I discourage ??.