Popeye - treament/causes?

jn

Sigh.. another problem....

one of my flagfish has popeye (one eye only).

Is this always caused by a bacterial infection or can it be from an injury?

What's the treatment and can I treat it separately or do I have to treat the tank? (or should I keep up the water changes and wait and see?)

Tanks is about 80L and I'm changing 20/week.. although I do have a green water problem which has been hanging around for months now which I can't seem to beat!!

This particular tank has been nothing but trouble for me actually :( I'm very frustrated with it!

Tank isn't overstocked, its got 3 jordanellas, 8 wcmm and 2 baby BN's.

Thanks adodge,

I was hoping injury was a possibility. the eye is not cloudy at all.. just pushed out some. The fish have been a bit rowdy lately, spawning I guess. It's well and behaving normally and eating fine so I'll just keep the water clean and keep an eye on it rather than treating.

Would you recommend I take him out and treat it Alan?

If so what with? I'd sooner treat it early than wait if it may help.

Furan?

I'd probably have to treat it in a bucket, I can chuck an airpump/improvised filter in there and he won't need a heater.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update in case anyone was curious.. I couldn't find any single furan tablets to buy so decided to wait it out.

As I sit here.. the pop-eyed flag fish is spawning (or trying to spawn.. I never do see anything come out of either fish but the chasing is very elaborate!!)

So he still seems quite well (I have kept a close eye on him and his behaviour never deviated from normal). His eye got a bit worse after my inital posts, but has gone down a bit in the last 2 days. Everyone else in the tank is also well.. so I think there must have just been a 'punch-up' with unfortunate consequences for mr. fishy!

If it recovers completely I'll post again but I'd be very surprised if the damage wasn't somehow permanent.

Still good that he's ok and its not another problem in my tank!