BEST LIVE ROCK

perren

The only place you will find really good live rock is in other people's tanks, otherwise you have to grow your own by starting with 'dead' rock and letting coraline algae and micro organisms populate it over a few months. It is quite a slow process, but can be speeded up if you can buy a little live rock or sand from someone to kickstart the process and introduce all the little critters you need. :D

My tank is about 9 months on and I'm still waiting for my coralline to take off so yes its a very slow process.

Make sure you alkalinity and Calcium levels are good, and it grows surprisingly fast (for coraline algae) - mine grows about 2-3mm / week.

You could contact a local reefer (PM) and see if they have any extra live rock to spare. Only one I know that is in Nelson off the top of my head is the member known as RTBS

Yep I'm in Nelson but I think the origional poster is in Napier, I have a bin of rock cooking but can't spare any at the mo as it's for a rearrange in the display.

:D

Whoops [insert smack in back of head icon here]

Nelson/Napier my bad.

Sorry about that RTBS - for some reason I had it in my mind you were in Napier then got my 'N' towns mixed up!

Perren - there are a few reefers in Napier/Hastings one of the members is Bruce, this is a link to a post of his:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/red-sea-max-now-at-deco-city-pets-vp220038.html#220038

Whoops [insert smack in back of head icon here]

Nelson/Napier my bad.

Sorry about that RTBS - for some reason I had it in my mind you were in Napier then got my 'N' towns mixed up!

Perren - there are a few reefers in Napier/Hastings one of the members is Bruce, this is a link to a post of his:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/red-sea-max-now-at-deco-city-pets-vp220038.html#220038

Yeah well its an easy mistake to make :D

But we do buy most of our fish via Bruce at Deco City Pets, great to deal with and goes the extra mile in terms of customer service. :hail:

Mike