My First Catfish

Joelay

I should be getting a tank on saturday, once its settled down and started cycling, i want to get a catfish for it, possibly 1 or 2 other fish. Its going to be a Planted Community Tank.

I was thinking i could get a Bristlenose because i've read a bit and they seem to do well in community tanks and like to eat algae (Oh yeah i want it to eat algae)

What would you reccommend i would like to get a couple. but i've also read that Bristlenos' prefer to be on their own.

Any Thoughts?

The males occasionally get a bit grumpy with each other when they're older, but it's usually not anything worse than flaring their cheek spikes at each other and wiggling a bit. A male and a female would be good.

Thats Great news! i was told that 2+ mite be ok in lrge tanks but mite get aggrssive.

It gonna be a 100L tank approx and i would like to get get bout 3 for it. i'll probably jus get 2 though and maybe the week after get another 1.

Thanx for the help thats Great! :D :D

Get 1 male and 2 females. Do you know how to sex them? The males have long bristles around the mouth and in a single line up the middle of their head. Females are wider and, although they sometimes have bristles around the mouth, they are shorter and more sparse than the male bristles.

No i didn't know how to to sex them so thankyou caryl. i'll be getting 3 then, 1 male and 2 females, i need to find somewhere in England that sells them. i think the place in cosham that i'm getting my stuff from will have them or be able to get them. :)

THanx for the help guys :D

Don't get plecos by mistake as they grow huge! Bristlenoses (sometimes aka bushynoses) have a little yellowish/white 'flag' mark on the top of their tail. Small bristlenoses won't have bristles either. They develop as they age.

my tank could probably take some small pleco's but with other fish too it would probably soon get crowded. :o

I think the owner of the shop is pretty good and i'll probably get her to order them for me for next saturday, my tank would have been runing for a week then. i think i'll print out this info and take it with me. :D