Building a better RSM - your thoughts?

tHEcONCH

So RSM owners, it seems as if Red Sea want to know how the RSM could be improved. If you actually have an RSM and want to share your thoughts, please post them here so that they can be noted. Here's a few from me:

1) Use better quality components - although the 'all-in-one' concept is great, RSMs are shockingly unreliable because of the poor quality components used in their manufacture. Light timers, ballasts, LEDs - in fact all of the electrical components need to be upgraded.

2) Create a channel behind the tank so that the main power chord can be exited on either side of the tank

3) Move the corner splash screen screws away from the top hinge mount so that fat-fingered people like me can undo them without ripping skin off knuckles

4) Make the power chord channels along the top of the tank deeper so that the shrouds are not forced up and open, and generally clean up the mouldings so that there are fewer corners and crevases that trap salt etc.

5) Extend the fittings on the circulation pump so that currents can be better directed / controlled

6) Relocate and 'open' the overflow so that surface film doesn't get trapped, especially above the circulation pumps. A straight overflow box would work far better than the grill arrangement which clogs easily

7) Put a decent sized knob on the end of the hinge rods so that they can be removed easily when required

8 ) Modify the hinges so that the hood opens more

9) Provide a Halide lighting option

10) Remove the glass 'retainers' that position the stock skimmer so that a Deltec or similar unit can be retrofitted if desired

11) Reposition the media bag so that they can be exchanged without having to remove the circulation pumps - provide a more convenient location for resins etc....

Any more ideas?

MH option or quad t5 instead of double

better skimmer

more flow maybe some kind of closed loop system standard,And a ATO standard,or maybe even dosing pumps or both?

I think the rest of it is pretty sweet,I dont care what side the powercord comes out off you can always pull it round the other side.

Maybe some type of chiller thing in the back? just to cool water alittle,not a full blown chiller but something to help keep it cool like those little things from nanocustoms.

would be good to have EVERYTHING in one so you dont have any excuse to upgrade

make your own,

glass cube $150, acardia 150watt metal halide $400, 200watt heater $35, wooden stand $500, deltec skimmer MCE 600 hang on $600 (second hand), two tunze nano,s 6025's ($120 each). rock and presto..........

a far better RSM... for about the same price

oh and some timers ($10 each) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am sure they could do more, however it all comes down to cost,

They are hard to sell with the current pricing so adding a few hundred dollars would not suit most Hobbyist.

The main problem with making changes i quess would be that they would have to change the way they make them in the factory which would add huge set up cost,

also the red sea brand is not a top quality brand and cover the mid range market.

The Jewel tanks look very promising and looks like you can add bits to them