Flourish excel vs Flourish

Cheesejawa

Like Alanmin said. I use Flourish Excel and the plants actually have to be trimmed regularly. Never had that even with a CO2 (DIY) thingy. Of course, the under-gravel fertilizer might be helping a bit too. A well planted tank with good growth will help loads keeping algae down. As will bristlenose plecs.

Wait wait wait.

They're totally different products.

Flourish is a trace elements fertiliser.

Flourish Excel is a carbon supplement.

Flourish or a similar fertiliser are essential if you dont have many fish, but you'll see the biggest gains from Flourish Excel but its like 5 times the price too. Because it makes your plants more efficent at using nutrient, it will help algae problems including death of beard algaes.

You need to do regular water changes to remove the nitrate and phosphate that feeds the algae, The flourish excel provides the available carbon for the plants to grow and they use up nitrate and phosphate but to starve the algae you need to make sure it is kept low with water changes and that also removes flourish. I dose after water changes and only use the normal dose. To be effective you need light as well or the plants don't grow. It also has algacidal properties.

I am regreting now not getting undergravel ferts but petplanet didnt have them In stock and I dont think my LFS sells them. So do you think flourish excel will be enough as the only ferts apart from fish. As for the price difference.

http://www.petplanet.co.nz/shopping/pgm ... d=355&=SID

http://www.petplanet.co.nz/shopping/pgm ... d=138&=SID

so thats why im asking as they are both very similar prices.

and what about this?

http://www.petplanet.co.nz/shopping/pgm ... d=143&=SID

You need to read the fine print as far as price goes...

Flourish - recommended dose 5ml for 250l water once or twice a week.

Flourish Excel - rd 5ml for 200l water daily or every other day.

Ferropol - rd 5ml for 20l water weekly.

So, on a weekly basis for a 100l tank, you are looking at:

Flourish - 2ml - 100mls will last 50wks

Flourish Excel - 17.5ml if dosed daily - 5.7wks

8.75ml if dosed every other day - 11.4 wks

Ferropol - 25ml - 4 wks

So while the per ml price may be the same, the rate at which you use it is not.

Someone check my maths - it is not my best subject, and it's tea time and I am hungry, so the brain may not be working properly!

thanks for that. What is the standard retail price for flourish excel? I am wondering if I should buy from petplanet for $20.60 for 250ml plus $6 shipping or wait until I go down to Invercargil in just about 2 weeks time and get it then?

Its $23 shipped on the auction site

Gives you a idea