please tell me what you think about this tank for sale...

FineArtist

Not much to say about the aquarium on TradeMe it looks like a good deal. Oh, there’s the catch - you’ll spend $250-300 on the tank then there’s $40 extra for the light filter and heater then another $45 for shipping. The aquarium will possibly be damaged during transit and there’s no shipping insurance on aquariums (from personal experience). The entire thing is “made in china†and will start to look tired very soon (laminate peeling off MDF) and replacement parts for the filter and light will be very close to impossible to source if/when they break.

I'd go for the setup on TradeMe that you've bid up to $250 for... the cream one, if there's a few that is ;)

I would wait for others feedback on the item if I was you. Do a google search on the product if you can find it and see what is said about it. If the filter system etc is that cheap you may need to upgrade it anyway or if you can get hold of an address for them through previous buyers or whatever I don't mind going and having a look at it. IMO the cheap tanks that come in from overseas look great but don't stay like that for long.

I would have another look at the lid in the large picture. Might be bad photography but it looks to me that it isn't anything more than cheap plastic wood-coloured paper stuck onto either more cheap plastic or even cheaper wood which will warp in the humidity above an aquarium.

For the money you'd expect that auction to finish at, together with buying a decent filter and lights, you can probably buy better such as...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 522665.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 396955.htm

Either looks better value.

HTH

i have the same as the first link posted, Sunsun. I also have a Cf1200 & cannot fault either of these units in 2 years. I have always preferred the sunsun over aqua one as the hoods parts are aluminium, not plastic. i can highly reccomend the sunsun & would soecifically look for them again if i buy another setup.

FWIW.....a real cheap price for sale in NZ...means it was real cheap to buy in China = junk :-)

The saying is...You have to pay a pay a good price for a good product. This applies for anywhere in the world.

The problem is some fly by night "importers" tend to buy the cheapest and flog off on TM making it hard for someone trying to sell the good product legit :-)

Oh, by the way check to see if the plug and lead is NZ or Aust certified (stamped on the face of the plug), a CHINESE plug or in fact any non Aust or NZ plug with a NZ adaptor is actually illegal to sell in NZ. If not sure of certification, then ask the seller as he has to have the paperwork for the electrics.

Insurance implications!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i disagree

i looked into a similar product

the build quality is poor

the fittings dont fit right

the finish is un even

i guess the glass is probably made from the same factory

but generally, i found sun sun to be poor

i have seen a tank, i actually bought off trademe

when i went to pick up

it was so poor

i had to cancel trade.

the problem here is that i believe, similar to a cheap knock off filter.

if they were so problem free and great, then all LFS would be selling them

they have not reduced and or eliminated jebo, even jebo was reasonable, but problems coming back was so much that they could not stock it anymore.

lfs will sell things that sells, no loyalty to a product, if a product sells, they will sell but if they hve to keep replacing it, it dosent work for both parties and reputations get destroyed with that at times over night.

if you want a nice tank, go get the good reputable brand, less failures.

if its only a tank, and lid, maybe its ok

but if it has inbuilt filters lights etc.

look first, it would be wise to, i didnt look first and upon arival was shocked ...

So far I have bought 3 second hand tanks on trademe, 2 x3' complete with fish and canister filters and a 5" with all the fruit, I cant say I regret any of the sales I only paid $200 each time, sure they aren't new and the stands need some love but they are all good solid gear.

I say just bide your time and get a second hand one of you want to pay around that dollar, you will get a good deal if you are patient

i disagree

i looked into a similar product

the build quality is poor

the fittings dont fit right

the finish is un even

i guess the glass is probably made from the same factory

but generally, i found sun sun to be poor

i have seen a tank, i actually bought off trademe

when i went to pick up

it was so poor

i had to cancel trade.

the problem here is that i believe, similar to a cheap knock off filter.

if they were so problem free and great, then all LFS would be selling them

they have not reduced and or eliminated jebo, even jebo was reasonable, but problems coming back was so much that they could not stock it anymore.

quote]

you cant disagree that MY sunsun tank is not good quality as you have not seen it. It is better than aqua one tanks of the same style (lights & filter in hood) & i welcome anyone who would like to view it. maybe it comes down to who is selling these tanks here, i found "joshua" (trademe user name) to be well informed about the technical side of the unit. other traders, clearly from the descriptions, have no idea what they have got.

I have a SunSun type tank setup , bought of TM about 3yrs ago, Ihave had one blown light tube, and the thin plastic light cover became brittle and I broke it. Apart from that it has been fine. About 145lt cost around $400 new, still looks good. If you like it, it's your money check it out and enjoy your fish!

Hi All.

I echo (LOUDLY) the sentiments of PPS.

The tanks that are made in those countries are made at a very small price.

I KNOW:........................My partner's, brother and sister were teaching "ENGLISH" at university level in China.

They knew that I bred Tropicals so looked out for some "Bargains" for me.

The prices that they emailed back with, to list a few were as follows. :oops:

EXAMPLES:

AQUA ONE 750 Professional Canister Filter..

RETAIL 250 yuan.

HEATERS, All Wattages..

RETAIL 12 yuan.

HANG ON FILTERS, All sizes..Average

RETAIL 14 yuan.

CHECK THE VALUE OF THE "Yuan" WITH THE BANK.

The prices I was quoted by the "MANUFACTURER" was in United States Dollars.

AQUA ONE 750..

WHOLESALE $39.00

HEATERS..

WHOLESALE $ 2.75

HANG ON FILTERS. "AVERAGE COST"

WHOLESALE $ 7.95

Again check the value of the $US with a bank.

QUESTION:

Why do they quote a product at retail shops in China at one price (yuan) and then quote a wholesale price in $US to buyers. :roll:

Is it because their communistic ways set them a lower price in their homeland with the overseas buyers paying for their low living standards which have the effect of lower prices?

The people of that country are "GENERALLY" not worthy of trust and that is why I have a PERSONAL dislike of them and their business ethics. :evil:

I HAVE NO INTENTION OF HIGHJACKING THIS THREAD;

BUT, I WISH TO MAKE THE POINT THAT IN TODAYS MARKET PLACE , YOU TEND TO GET LESS THAN YOU PAY FOR.

:bow:

perhaps quotes in US currency makes it easier for overseas customers to convert to their local currency?

shipping products overseas even in wholesale amounts adds to the cost - look at how many people on the forum will accept a lower local price for fish to avoid the need to ship them...

thats an awful lot of people that you are considering untrustworthy... ('generally' and a population well over a billion!!).

any online purchase either within NZ or from overseas has potential risk - I don't know the extent to which you can predict the quality of the person or business from their language skills...

Generally most countries exporting to NZ give prices in $US . All price lists for fish etc are in US dollars. I have a great respect for them. my best man was Chinese. When you do business with them yes does not mean I will buy your product it means yes I am hearing what you say. When dealing with other cultures we should not expect them to be the same as us. That is why they are called other cultures. We should try to understand more about other cultures not expect them to think like us. Many of their exports are heavily subsidised just like many of ours were until recently. It is made round to go round, it is just their turn at present. I have made hundreds of aquariums over the years and I am amazed at the quality of some of the tanks imported from China. The glass edges are polished and the RTV is perfect. I have never built a tank that good in my life.

Hi All

Yes HaNs, I HAVE BEEN TO CHINA :lol:

Several times on Aquaria product buying missions.

And as I stated you can buy the same IDENTICAL item retail in chinese shops at less than 10% of the quoted US$ price for export.

I did the calculations while I was there to bring in a few tanks but it was uneconomic even buying them retail, so I left it to the big boys (WHO supposedly can afford to import bulky items and also to stand by their choice of product).

If you find my comments offensive HaNs then I suggest you talk to a few more small business owner operators who have dealt with the same people and then I will accept your apology for going off half cocked.

I did not anywhere mention any specific make or "Brand Name", you decided I also meant your "ELCHEAPO". :roll:

:bow: