cleaning a tank

Tigger

we even use it for the rabbit Hutch It kills, disinfects and gets rid of bad smells !

Hmm...off topic but...I suppose that would be good for cleaning the cats' litter boxes too?

Caryl, is the reason for the salt just to add a "safe" grit?

Caper

SpidersWeb wrote:

the basic reason is organisms that live in freshwater usually die in saltwater

Caryl wrote:

kills off freshwater bugs

Learn something new everyday. So is that also one of the reasons that a salt bath is sometimes beneficial for an ailing freshwater fish???

Caper

Is the tank glass? Dont' use a scrubbing pad on acrylic :)

(Are you tigger on the lsb forum too? If you don't know what lsb is then I guess it's not you!!)

re: the salt - in addition to some bugs dropping off with production of a new slime coat.. yes I do think that there are some freshwater parasites that cannot handle the salt and it kills them.. SOME .. not all!! I believe I've read somewhere that saltwater fish can sometimes be dipped in freshwater to the same reasons...but then wheter you can believe everything you read is a different story!

You mix the salt with a little water until it is still a paste and it acts as a soft abrasive that can be easily washed out when you have finished. As stated earlier it also acts by osmosis to kill bugs etc. Nature likes things to balance so a strong salt solution on one side of a semipermeable membrane (the cell wall of a bug) causes water to pass through the membrane to dilute it and this dehydrates the bug so it desperately needs a DB and doesn't feel well.

Vinegar is acid and disolves the calcium deposits which are mainly carbonates (like what builds up in your jug).