Desperately seeking - an emerald crab

srossnz

Hi All,

I'm glad to have found this site! I was just wondering is there any hope of finding an emerald crab in NZ? I would like one to go after my bubble algae which is an ongoing nightmare. My tank is only 175 litre + 80litre sump refugium so I'm not too keen to put in a sailfin tang or foxface as they grow big. Thanks for any info, I would pay top dollar for one of these crabs..

Sean

so I'm not too keen to put in a sailfin tang or foxface

They do grow big to a degree but will not grow fast in a small tang. Even are 3-4 years they will be ok for your tank.

Also are you using a phostphate remover like rowaphos, this will help in reduce nutrients for the algae,

How much bubble algae have you got?

I had a little initially and also later had some on a piece of live rock from another reefers tank. In both instances I manually removed the bubble algae using a very small flat head screwdriver and netting the floaters.

If you do this, you have to be careful not to burst the bubbles as this will help it spread.

They do grow big to a degree but will not grow fast in a small tang. Even are 3-4 years they will be ok for your tank.

Also are you using a phostphate remover like rowaphos, this will help in reduce nutrients for the algae,

I was just about to get some phosphate remover. I may try to source a small sailfin or foxface. If anyone knows of one available in akl would be great if you could ping me. Thanks

what about if your phosphates are really low, mine only get to 0.03 on the salifert test and then i stick in more phosphate remover and it goes back to zero and i have bubble algae every where...... although my nitrates have crept up a bit, around 10.

0.03 on a Salifert kit is actually quite a high level, due to the limitations of this type of test.

However bubble algae is able to survive and propsper in very low nutrient levels, for me over the years it has come and gone in cycles, i'm suspicious there is more to it than just phosphate alone. For many tanks you probably need something in there that will eat it.