washing machine repair

jayci

Do you need to be quaifed to be a washing machine repairman?

I had to fix my washing machine the other day, the seal had gone one it.

Was given a quote of $450 to fix by a repairman. I got the new parts for $45(new seal and bearing) and spent an hour fixing it.

I thing is, I had fun doing it, and would like to do it for a job.

side note. If your washing machine is old like mine (10yrs). you should pull out the bowl and give it a clean, there was a massive gross amount of scum build up on the bowl.

To do electrical repairs on any single phase portable appliance and charge for it you have to have EST A (electrical service technician A), to do repairs and charge for fixing 3phase and fixed wired appliances you have to have EST A and B.

These courses are very basic and ensure you have a basic level of electrical knowledge, some sort of standard of work and know the basic tests to carry out to ensure an appliance is electrically safe.

I would say if your only doing mechanical repairs you might not need this but if you were charging for repairs and it all went wrong (ie someone got electricuted from something you had repaired) you may be liable.

That's good advice ryan. I'll look at doing the electrical service technician A course.

I have seen the smartdrive machine generate 700volts.

Hmmm. The motors in the smartdrives are 3 phase but the appliance plugs into a single phase. So is the appliance considered single phase needing EST A or is it considered 3 phase needing EST A & B.

You can do the courses through polytech etc and they are very easy :) I did all mine when I did all my courses at work. You also have to be registered to charge and I think there is some practical experience required, I am not too sure on that one as I work under my works license and don't charge anyone anything.

The motors wont be true 3 phase if they plug into single phase, I think what your referring to is how they split up the single phase AC to get a rotating magnetic field to start or keep it running. My motor theory is pretty rough as its been a few years since ive looked at it and I don't work on them at work. But if it plugs into single phase then its single phase.

If you do decide to start a bussiness doing this or anything esle similar, make sure you have public liability Insurance and make sure they will cover you if you have no formal training.

Thing is that if you make a mistake, you could be libel for say replacing carpet/vinal as well as possibly chipboard flooring and pay for the owners to stay in a motel for a couple of months while repairs are madse.

Im not trying to put you off but a lot of people dont think of the what if I stuff up thing and its costs them big dollars

I have 2 million public cover as the cost from 1 to 2 mil is not all that much

Another point to remember.

If you are a qualified appliance repairer you should have no problems finding work.

We have problems in our area of not enough trained workers that want to do it.

REMEMBER you are fixing things that people dont really want to pay for.

Endless complaints and irate customers doesnt make for a happy work environment.

The work may be fun and easy, but remember that with the broken washing machine comes the angry housewife/husband that doesnt think that they should have to pay for something to be fixed.

I manage an appliance retail store and believe me, the endless complaining we get from customers whining about the $60.00 fee to have someone come over because they swear that the machine is faulty(no matter how many questions they are asked to try find out what sort of problem) and when the service agent arrives and discovers that the problem is user fault.

My boss shut up his service shop in sourh taranaki as he could not find staff.

Sorry im not trying to put you off, just wanting to point out that while the work can be fun, the customers can make it miserable for you.

my 10 cents worth any way

That's good advice ryan. I'll look at doing the electrical service technician A course.

I have seen the smartdrive machine generate 700volts.

Hmmm. The motors in the smartdrives are 3 phase but the appliance plugs into a single phase. So is the appliance considered single phase needing EST A or is it considered 3 phase needing EST A & B.

My understanding is it's the supply that defines what the appliance is. In this case a washing machine is classed as a single phase device. What goes on inside the equipment is not important. You can have any multi-phase thing you like going on inside the equipment and still treat it as a single phase device outside.

A smartdrive would only generate high voltage during deceleration when the AC drive is regenerating. Our AC drives and inverters can go to 850-900VDC during regen with a little bit more oomph behind them as well...

The work may be fun and easy, but remember that with the broken washing machine comes the angry housewife/husband that doesnt think that they should have to pay for something to be fixed.

Really! I thought I was the only person who had that problem. I'm in pest control & you wouldn't believe how many people seem to serioiusly think they shouldn't have to pay. The problem is people ring the City Council with various problems and if it's not a council problem the council refer them to me. Then the people often get to thinking the council will pay for it. Now I've heard every excuse & can usually tell on the phone if there is likely to be a problem but in the early days I got caught more time than I like to think about, AFTER I did the job the person would say "WHAT!!! NO SWEARING!!!!! if I"M paying for it they came from the council reserve".

Funny as it may sound I had several times thought it would be nice to be a washing machine repair person so I wouldn't have these problems. Looks like all jobs have their hassles LOL!

i work in produce for a large chain of stores, what i find funny is when people ask you if you have something, and when you say you dont they huff and stomp off like its your personl fault! or like one woman came in just before christmas and wanted brussel sprouts, they were out of season (only just got them in last week) and she had a huge yell at me how her christmas would be ruined without brussel sprouts.... :x:o :-? :roll:

oooo and the banana lady! she comes in every week and complains that our bananas are too yellow or too green!! we try to explain that we have no control over what dispatch sends us, but again its our fault...

the other thing: when customers say things really loud so that you hear them complaining but they wont actually say anything to your face... ie:

"WOW, LOOK AT THE PRICE OF THOSE!!!"

and then expect you to rush over and instantaneously drop it down to half price just because you overheard them....

i think all our work would be alot easier and better without customers... :P

I agree :) Whats broken Shadowfax? Send me a PM I might be able to fix it for free (after you've got your refund that is).

I have talked to a few backyard small appliance repairs as it was something I might have considered doing. I wouldn't do it that way I would go somewhere where you get salary. They were having huge issues with fixing stuff, basically to fix anything you have to buy the book for it (which cost alot of money) and this cost has to be passed onto the customer.. Say someone brings in an older TV you have to buy a manual for $100 plus an hours labour at say $50 and then you have to tell the customer that its $150 plus $xxx in parts and more labour to fix it they get angry and say keep the bloody thing and buy a new one..

yeah thats the problem now, its cheaper to buy something new than to get it fixed! after i installed a new game on my pc & it started to freeze when i played the game then it started to freeze up everything else, my computer can easily handle the requirements for the game but i have no idea what the problem is, i also downloaded a patch for the game but it wont install as it comes up saying the game isnt on my pc & ive uninstalled the game & reinstalled it :roll: