Heating 15,000 litres of water

henward

there are fish here that can be put in those tanks

:D

and really 3400 for a poratble swimming pool, 15k water volume.

is good value!

just heating is, i was thinking of a solar heaitng system. running water through some black pipes that hits the sunlight, to heat it, i seen that works in normal pools.

just to make it a litle easier to heat.

pacus

id love to put pacus in there. somehow install a viewing window:D

some other large fish that i am tracking down. this is my 3 year plan or so

realistically

i just got a quote for 3000 x 1200 x 1000h, 11500 dollars!

i mean thats big, but not that! big!

in terms of cost of set up, a portable pools, which already comes iwth a spa pool 1horse power filter is only 3400 delivered to my door.

only issues are heating, and insulation in winter..

insulation in winter i would assume wouldnt be that much, just pink batts aroundt eh tank and nicely wrap it up:D

but heating, i think it would cost a good 2 to 3 thousand to get a heating system

still cheaper, lot cheaper to do large scale!

somehuge clowns, gouramis, aros, pacus, catfish etc

like i said, this is a plan thats spanning next 2 to 3 years when i purchase a home of my own.

then looking for big fish wont be too hard, once found then you setup:D

to view, you dive in ith a mask and snorkle

but heating, i think it would cost a good 2 to 3 thousand to get a heating system

I'd be surprised if you couldn't do it for under $1000 without trying hard.

Like I was saying before, water cylinder heating elements I'd imagine would be good and I think mine at least is 2kw. You can get a marine tank heat controller for $200ish, 3-4 of those water cylinder elements at $100ish(I think) each that's $600 for 8kw of heating. A bit of plumbing, wiring and relays for a few hundred more. Right around $1000. And, I'm sure there are better/cheaper ways to do it, but this would all be using pieces I think could be easily found.

hey mark:

solar seems good and efficient. backed up by electricity no doubt if sun isnt very strong?

hot water bore, i am unsure if we get many hot water wells here.. i really dont know how that works lol

looking for massive containers for fish, doesnt have to be a pool i guess

any ideas mark? i mean massive talking at least 6000 litres

mmmmmm ira

you put forwards a valid point

if you put it that wya, it sounds very cheap...:D

and ifit works and reliable, it dont matter...

getting good ideas here

i just such a big fan of monster fish!

huge fish!

any ideas on alternatives to a pool?

someone suggested a water tank, like those found in rural areas to store rain water. and someone said i could cut out a hole on the side and put on perspex. so it can be viewed easily

Hmmm, Just doing some calculations. Say you get a good thick reinforced concrete pad poured at about $1000?

Concrete blocks for 8 meterX3 meter X 2meter double thickness would need about 1100 at $3.45 each

Blocks: $3795

Rebar: $528(3 two meter sections per layer of the wall)

So $4323 for outer wall not counting concrete to fill it. Guess another $1000 for that.

So $6323 for the pond+need a couple coats of pond paint or I guess you could go fancy and fiberglass it. And I'm sure you'd need a resource consent.:)

That's 48,000 liters right there.

Don't forget the added cost of a viewing window, it would be a shame not to put one in if you're making an above-ground pond. (otherwise just use a swimming pool if you only want to see them from the top)

I'm planning on making an above-ground portable pond with the 8'x2' panel of glass I'm getting, once we're settled in our own home (which could be years away!) either from steel or timber. Have a look on the DIY forum at monsterfishkeepers.com there's some pretty massive home-made tanks/ponds there.

yeah, australia aint much better wiht fish, cos they dont let you import some, it gets hot enough there for the fish to survive during the winter months!

well, i guess relocating just for fish is one thing

but you can also make the best out of nz

havin a school of pacus, gouramis, catfishes, even some nz river and lake fishes. jsut all big fish you cna possibly find

i think it could be impressive too!

but i know wha tyou mean

RTC, shovel nose, arapaima, rays, etc

would be wicked!

i guess in nz we ust hvae to settle with what we have and a school of silver aros:D

i guess in nz we ust hvae to settle with what we have and a school of silver aros:D

Yeah, realistically I'd never be able to afford to build a tank like that, let alone run it and feed all the massive fish! I'm planning on about 8-9'x4'x30" for the pond, partially because thats the size of the free glass, and partially because anything much bigger will be way too expensive! The good thing with having 3 solid sides is that it can be insulated well to save on heating costs.