Potbelly Fry Advice? please post here!

djsurfs

Feeding baby seahorses is a very time intensive process. You need to hatch brine shrimp and figure out some way to slowly and constantly drip BBS into the tank. I did something similar with green water for betta fry by using my coke bottle brine shrimp hatcher with an in-line valve and using gravity to drip feed... but a Brine Shrimp Hatch'n'feed Corral as sold by Aquanut (mtbtim on TM) may work well (not sure exactly).

If you're interested in a Corral I have one that I only used once for $40 incl courier. I've kept it in case I needed it, but I think you have a greater need.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews/vi ... php?id=148

Thanks All!! :)

I almost hope it is false alarm, but he IS FAT and not buoyant (but surprisingly not gone reclusive) so just to be safe, want to be prepared!

I'd read up a bit when I 1st got the SH's but then went all this time so it is time to brush-up/ cram! I have a BS hatcher and had practiced a bit some time ago... but I'll make sure and get some practice in ASAP.

Which brings up more questions:

How many of you bother decapsulating your BS eggs before hatching?

I am also concerned about hydroids. I've only ever used natural seawater for my tanks... For the BS hatching/and nursery tank, would you suggest pre-treating the water. What do you use?

Cheers!

Thanks for the link :)

Heaps of good info over there, but thought I'd check here too as it's always nice to share experience and techniques being used "closer to home" and particular to H. Abdominalis.

Obviously being able to feed the fry is a main concern, but I am also concerned about nursery tank size, type, flow, any special hitching or water issues.

Could I get away with using one of the smaller Aquaone type tanks or should I get a different set-up?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention his pouch is not like an egg when flirting, but definitely darkened! eeeek!

OK, deep breath, don't panic, back to BS, greenwater practice, etc.etc... :lol:

the way we do it is

you need lots of fresh natural salt water - cheapest option

i usually split my babies up into different containers

plastic containers, buckets are good

only run an air stone in each on slow flow, not too much turbulence

each day change 1/2 water by a slow syphon

we use pieces of plastic ambulia type plant weighted down and floating for anchorage

feeding BBS 3 x daily

Good advise Mark. I found out the hard way when mine breed. i filled up a 80 litre tank of water. When the Ponies (baby seahorses) came to feed they didnt move around as much as i thought they would and some of them starved as i had too much water in the tank and they could not get to the food. In the end i reduced the amount of water in there tank to about 30 litres and had much better success. From memory the male goes into contractions (imagaine going into contractions and having upwards of 300 children) and most try to deliver the ponies at sunrise, so have a good look first thing in the morning. Good Luck