Cold Saltwater Tank

Heir

Was just curious.... has anyone done this?? Fill it up with things you find in rock pools... have like a kiwi rock pool in your home.

Would like to see if this works or if anyone has done this let me know!

I wouldn't want to start with a big tank or anything at this stage though.

Does anyone have an idea of what equipment i'd need to make this happen??

Cheers!

Dan~

If you go with rockpool species they are pretty hardy and more able to handle temp and salinity changes.

Put the tank in a cool place, and dont run any lights at hot times will help.

I used to have a tank with cushions stars, hermit crabs, catseyes, blennys and a small sucker fish. The sucker fish was neat, if you have never seen one they look like a big slug, about 5-10cm long and their whole belly is a suction pad like a hillstream loach. They live under rocks on surf beaches and cling to the rocks even in heavy surf. They have a big frog-like mouth. Mine got so tame it would suck on the glass at the top and eat bits of fish and wood lice from my hand.

DONT get those red rock crabs !!! Unless you want only ONE big red rock crab in your tank.

Cheers

Ian

I did it and it was great. Had to give it up though as I couldn't keep it cold enough as I didn't have a chiller. Do not attempt it if you do not have a way of cooling the tank sufficiently.

I had a 3ft tank with an Aquaclear filter on it. Nothing else. Had brittlestars, anemones, sea cucumbers, chitons, hermit crab, shrimp, rockfish etc. Even had a little octopus for a while until it escaped and got fluffed to death on the carpet :cry:

• 3 weeks later...