Baby bearded dragons - how to buy 1 male and 1 female?

terrence

If determining the sex of baby bearded dragons isn't possible for most people, how can I go about buying 1 baby male and 1 baby female? Is this possible to do, or is it generally luck of the draw?! I'm wanting to rear a breeding pair, as I can't afford the full grown breeding pairs at this stage...

Tricky one.

You either trust the breeders/sellers competence in sexing, or you learn to do it yourself and attempt to do so before buying.

They'll need to be at least 12 weeks old (16 weeks is better), however there's still an element of risk involved

If you haven't already then start searching the net for guides etc.

Tricky one.

You either trust the breeders/sellers competence in sexing, or you learn to do it yourself and attempt to do so before buying.

They'll need to be at least 12 weeks old (16 weeks is better), however there's still an element of risk involved

If you haven't already then start searching the net for guides etc.

nothing to do with age, it is size. even then it is a guess, so no guarantees. i am happy to sell a pair and swap animals at a later date if need be.

Hey thanks for the replies folks.

Varanophile - hey that sounds great, I'll be sure to keep you in mind when I set the wheels in motion for this project :)

Only thing about that is that I've read when setting up a breeding pair, you want to buy from different breeders to ensure they're not related? Or do you have several different genetic lines going in parallel?

Hey thanks for the replies folks.

Varanophile - hey that sounds great, I'll be sure to keep you in mind when I set the wheels in motion for this project :)

Only thing about that is that I've read when setting up a breeding pair, you want to buy from different breeders to ensure they're not related? Or do you have several different genetic lines going in parallel?

all beardies in nz are related to a high degree and colour morphs are all from inbreeding, not ideal but all mine still have the right number of digits, eyes and limbs. so far....touch wood.