Kelvin

Aquarium Dude

30 odd years ago us old fellas were right up there with the latest up to date info from Germany. This was that a combination of growlux and cool white with 1/10 of the wattage in incandescent was the go. I built a tank in a cabinet about then which has 2 x 3 foot tubes and 2 x 15 watt bulbs on dimmers that run 24/7. The tubes go for 17 hours/day. If I was doing it again today I would use 4 x 3ft tubes (4ft wont fit). I tried daylight (6500k) for a year but have reverted to the old set up. If you put a growlux in the front it enhances the red and blue colours of fish. You pays your money and takes your pick.

Some reference data:

For 40W tubes

Lamp Color : Color Temperature : Minimum Acceptable Lumens : Best Available Lumens

Warm White : 3,000K to 3,500K : 2,880 : 3,300

Cool White : 4,100K to 4,200K : 2,880 : 3,300

Full Spectrum : 4,800K to 5,500K : 2,950 : 3,250

Daylight : 6,000K to 7,000K : 2,000 : 2,180

I've seen GroLux rated at 6500K, but...

I've also read that Kelvin rating can be misleading for fluorescent tubes because they emit in narrow spikes of light rather than broad intensity. The Kelvin rating is only reliable for what the human eye perceives, not what plants receive.

Perhaps this is why Sylvania don't list a Kelvin rating.