I HAVE BABIES, WOOOOHOOO, NOW WHAT?

Carlein

:o I don't beleave it, the day after my 1st post my keyholes laid more eggs, so I watched and waited for them to start eating them as usual, but they didn't :P now I have babies, they hatched yesterday and mum and dad are doing a great job keeping everyone away from them. My question is, how long before they are free swimming? and once they are will the parents be able to stop all my neons and other fish from eating them. Should I seperate the tank with a devider so they can do their thing in peace, or just leave them to it? CHEERS

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: I CAN'T BELEAVE IT, YAY

All's well so far, :D they've been free swimming for a couple of days now and the parents are really protective of them. If they get too far away mum and dad suck them into their mouths and spit them out where they're safe.

I've been feeding the whole tank then putting in some fry food, don't know how much their eating but so far so good. I can see what you meant about the neons not being a threat they just scoot away as soon as the parents go near them. As for the swordtail, i've seen him eat a few that the parents didn't see get away, but that's to be expected, there are hundreds and it would be pretty hard to keep track of all of them. We don't have another tank to put them in so it's gonna be survival of the fittest. Really neat to watch, :o We can't keep our eyes off them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

just thought i'd keep you guys posted, it's sad news im affraid :( They all got eaten Each morning we got up and there were a few more gone, I think the culprit was our male swordtail, he seemed to stalk up on them.

BUMMER, looks like we might have to get another tank if we want to raise some. Oh well thanks for the advice.

Yeah, swordtails will eat anyone's babies, including their own and they are pretty fast.

I am very jealous though. I love my keyholes but I have six males, I'd love a couple of females to put in there with them. One day when I get a six foot tank and can have a dozen or so....