new tank fish

jimw

What fish are good for cycling a tank(and keeping after). I have a 215 litre tank that with gravel etc has 160 litres of water in it. At this stage I was thinking about 4 serpae tetras, 4 pearl danios, one albino and one peppered catfish. Is this too many? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance Jim

Hi Jim - if you like Danios and Tetras, then they would be a fine place to start. I'd also recommend that you buy testkits for Nitrite and Nitrate (and Ammonia as well if you want to, although it is largely redundant after a day or two) and monitor the levels. If you haven't done so already Google 'Cycle Aquarium' and 'Nitrogen Cycle Aquarium' and find out about the nitrogen cycle. Have fun :D

Hi again! Yes I cancelled the neons as it sounded like I was just going to kill them. After we put in the gravel and plants and stuff we just measured how much water went into the tank to the mid point of the recommended range

Might as well since there are no other fish in the tank. You know to float the bags a while to equalise the temps don't you? Then slowly add tank water to the bags and mix the waters together?

I always thought for some odd reason not to float the fish because they see all the water and plants etc under their bags and stress out about being in the bag stuck??

lol maybe i was lied too!....

HI again, firstly I was going to put ten neons in the tank as well but I took it under advisement that they probably wouldnt make it through the cycling. Other than that everything is going good with all levels in the tank being zero except for nitrate which is 5ppm. Iam hoping that this is what should be happening! As for the photo, I will wait a month or two until I am out of the woods with cycling and have some more fish. Thanks again Jim