Disposing of glass

David R

I've been given an old tank that is around 8'x2'x2', and made of 10 or 12mm glass. It was set up as a reef tank and is dirty as hell, and has been sitting empty in a dry shed for over 10 years. The back panel has been cracked and repaired, the bottom has so much bracing on it that its not worth trying to salvage, but the front panel of glass is still good. I'd like to remove the front panel (probably by using a hammer!) to use in a future above-ground pond project, but I don't know what to do with the rest of the glass. Can you take broken glass to the dump, or should it be recycled?

Dont know if its the same all round the country but a 2 min drive from mine is a recycling station, and we have the huge "gantry" size bins and yeah me (and dad who is a glazier) just chuck the glass in there, big or small.

So yeah just in the bin for glass 8)

Just watch you dont cut yourself when throwing them in :-?

Danilada

What your doing is creating a major problem.

No glass flat window glass is made here in NZ.

The recycling depot is for bottle glass and it is made totally different to window glass that tanks are made from.

By tipping window/flat glass into the bin, your effectivly making useless, the great efforts of people trying to recycle bottles.

It is quite simply dumped as land fill.

A few years ago, we could (Glass Merchants) firstly sell and then later give our glass off cutts (if totally clean) to the people that make pink batts but now it costs more to ask them to take it than it does to dump it.

Simple thing is that we glass merchants have to pay to have it dumped at a cost of about $75 per cubic meter.

If your father asks his suppliers he will find that what I have said is 100% correct.

To dump old tanks or in fact any flat glass, phone your local glass company and ask if you could dump it in their bins but as mentioned, it does cost them

To dump old tanks or in fact any flat glass, phone your local glass company and ask if you could dump it in their bins but as mentioned, it does cost them

Thanks, I might give it a go, but if its going to cost me I might just wait until june when we get the 240L recycling bins then break it up and get rid of it like that...

:lol:

Make a couple of phone calls Danalia

Im not trying to have a go at you but its make up is totally different... you may as well put perspex in the same bin... as I mentioned, ask your day to ask his suppliers.

If there was a way I could avoid spending $1500 per year I would

How come our recycling bin says "All GLASS" in here?

Its a massive bin that every-one puts glass in.

Why doesn't is specify which glass they want?

Glass isn't always recycled into glass - some of the tempered stuff can't be recycled easily, so they use it for other things. They even came up with a way of turning into a substitute for road gravel.

I think what I'd do for fun is smash it up nice and fine, get an ooold pot and put all the shards into it then put the pot onto a nice hot bonfire.

If it's hot enough might get yourself a nice solid block of glass...

Which...Uhh...Then...I dunno, I guess you'd just throw in the rubbish after the novelty wears off.