Led tank lighting (no not moonlights)

Simian

It's crazy running into Unit's you've never used before. I worked at a company that delt with really high vacuum pressure systems. Anyway they used the unit Torr which I found odd, being use to talking in Pascals and Bar or even mm (water or Hg)!

Then again, I don't know of any other units for light intensity. Haven't had to measure it before!

Any units for light intensity other than what? Than watts? The way that's normally used isn't a measure of light intensity.:)

I don't know, never had to measure light intensity. :lol:

That's why I was a bit confused about it.

The only time I've encountered light intensity as a measurement is when buying a torch and they rate it in candles! But I recently was told that 1 Lumen = 1 Candle.

You have found the reason that LEDs aren't used for everyday bright lighting - yet.

As far as efficiency goes - it's something like this.

Incandescant Lamp - 10 lumen/watt - 1,000 hour life

Flouro lamp - 65-90 l/w - 7,000 hrs

Metal Halide - 70-90 l/w - 12,000 hrs

LED - 20-60 l/w - 50,000 hrs

So you can see that LEDs are getting up there with the Flouro lamps for efficiency, but thats only for the flash EXPENSIVE ones, like the Luxeons. The normal cheap white LEDs work fine, but they dont have the high efficiency that the flouros do.

Building a LED array that would replace a metal halide or a bank of flouros would indeed cost thousands of $$$

Cheers

Ian

i thought light intensity was in lumens or lux

Thats correct.

Lumens measures how much light a lamp produces, while lux measures the actual amount of light illuminating any specific place.

So the closer you are to a lamp the more lux you will have, even though the lumens from the lamp are the same.

Cheers

Ian

Also the "high brightness" leds are typically higher in the candella rating (normally done in thousands of millicandellas to help the ignorant americans with their SI units problems) is that they are just more focused whereas the lumen output is all the light made by the led no matter where it is directed.

There are much cheaper sources for bare luxon and equivilants - deal extreme are ok for small quantities, if your getting more then 100 then the sellers on ebay are sometimes able to swing a deal. A mate ordered 500 RGB 5mm leds for about US$80 which would have being several 1000 locally at the likes of jaycar or surplustronics.

Heaps of toys here for anyone looking at playing with leds - http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.917

There are much cheaper sources for bare luxon and equivilants - deal extreme are ok for small quantities, if your getting more then 100 then the sellers on ebay are sometimes able to swing a deal. A mate ordered 500 RGB 5mm leds for about US$80 which would have being several 1000 locally at the likes of jaycar or surplustronics.

Heaps of toys here for anyone looking at playing with leds - http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.917

lol i was gonna post that site the other night! good searching tho. :D