is this good for lighting??

cichlid7

600 Watts is a bit excessive isn't it... It won't be the right Kelvin and you will be hard pushed to find replacement bulbs. Also, over a 4ft tank you would be better getting 2x 250W lights- (this is assuming you want a SPS reef) as 2x lights will give you better spread. T5 will cost alot less to run, as will 2x 150W or 2x250W, and they will be cheaper to replace bulbs for also. So short answer, no, I wouldn't get it.

ok so would 2 of these be good or are they not the right sort of lighting

http://sog.open24x7.biz/catalog/product ... ad4655a275

im just trying to workout whether i should go with a tank with all corals and everything or a FOWLR tank.

i know i have got a lot of reading to do. just working it out first then i will start reading.

You don’t even notice the glitter on many tanks anyway, especially if you use t5s with halides,

If you really want glitter lines all you need is an incandescent bulb on the tank and you will get glitter lines with t5s,

Also note that if using blue metal halide bulbs you don’t get much glitter lines anyway, glitter lines are more noticeable if using low Kelvin bulbs

t5s on a fish tank will also make the fish colour look much better. Metal halides tend to wash the colour of fish and corals.

...but you won't get the glitter effects metal halides give you

If you want some glitter lines, a cheap way is to buy a couple of the 12v LED strips from dick smith that Slapper posted about a few months ago.

Not very noticable during the day but when they are on by themselves it looks pretty cool - just remeber to make up a reflector to mount them under to maximise their light.