what fish first?

I-LOVE-FISH

My family and i have got a new tank.I really wanted to know a few things.firstly,do you have to leave the water in the tank for a week or so or can you put neons in straight away because the are good 'cycling fish' i know that they are good fish for starting but i haer they are sensitive to water drops,rises phd levels e.t.c.so i wan to know should i leave the tank for a wee while let it do its thing then put in some strong,hardy fish such as plattys,catfish or guppies that can handle water drops etc or should i put in some neons straight away although i am scared of putting in neons straight away because they are sensitive and i am a begginer.p.s my tank is 4 feet x60 cm. i just wanna know what to put in first and how long to wait. thanks!!!!! :D

The overseas trend is to do fishless cycling but I think that idea is nuts.

Set up the tank. Add water, filter and heaterstat. If you leave it for 5 days or so it enables you to check the temperature has stabilised and is right for the fish you want to keep. The tank will not start to cycle though with just water in it. After you have checked the temp is stable, add 6 hardy fish. Neons are not hardy. If you are wanting to keep platys then add 6 of them. Wait a week then add another 6 fish. Continue this until you have reached your stocking level. This way will build up the bacteria slowly and surely.