Flukes

Adrienne

All fish can get flukes and have them. Not serious enough to bother them. When water conditions are bad, it stress the fish Thus lowering the immune system and opening the door for diseases like flukes to attack and multiply, eventually killing the fish. Flukes are common and not hard to fix. Prevention (good maintianance) is better than cure.

ron

I have had a quick look around for treatments.

One site recommends copper treatment as if you had a snail infection as the copper will affect all invertebrates.

Another site recommends a simple salt bath - four ounces per ten gallons maintained for three weeks.

Yet another recommended Malachite green.

And yet another site recommended formalin added at a dose of 3-6 drops per gallon dependent on water hardness (3 - soft, 6 - hard).

Personally, I would go for isolation and salt, seems the safest. I don't think the copper can do much harm as long as you're very careful with the dosage, same with malachite green. I doubt the formalin method. that just seems a bit dodgy to me.