PEAT: affects on bacteria?

Stella

I am posting this here because I understand killifish people often use peat in their aquariums, possibly in a different way to me, but it is still peat and water :)

I am using it as a substrate in a mudfish aquarium (native coldwater fish). There is a LOT of peat in there.

Peat apparently has an antibacterial effect. This is (partly?) why spaghnum doesn't break down properly, which is what makes the peat in the first place.

What does this do to the bacteria in the tank (filters etc)?

Does it render biological filters useless, or less useful than normal?

If it does change things, how does it affect the ammonia-nitrite-nitrate cycle?

Thanks. It is so hard finding much out about using peat like this!

Hi Stella, I use peat alot to spawn alot of my killies. I couldnt give you a scientific explanation however my killies seem to do alot better with peat in their tanks. They can go longer with out water changes. I will be watching this thread to view other replies :-) Tim

Hi Aquanut, What do you base the need to do waterchanges on?

Do you get much algal growth in these tanks?

I forgot to add that my mudfish arrived (from the wild) with a natural parasite load of about five ich/whitespots each. A week later they were all gone and no new ones appeared. And this is during a time they would have been susceptible to an outbreak. I would love to know if the peat killed them (the other option is they were not whitespot, but they sure looked like them.

I have heard that peat has bacteriacidal properties. White spot is an opportunistic parasitic infection that is usully present but would be discouraged if the fish are in ideal condition because the water is how they like it. Fish in prime condition are able to resist it but if the conditions became more adverse it would probably return so it would not have been eliminated, just discouraged. That would be my guess.

So I am not an expert but do know a little about bacteria etc.

Firstly peat can change the way your filtration works because it can clog the mechanical filtration. ie big peat particles = blocked mechanics.

Secondly all life forms are designed to work in a specific range of conditions. Bacteria excreate a slimy coating (biofilm)which enhances their chance of multiplication and they can do this in a cohort kinda way.

One of the easiest ways to stop bacteria is to interupt this process. You can do this by changing the pH of the enviroment. Some bacteria are very susceptible to this. Peat does this. Other way's are to change Temp, O2 levels, light (Peat might do this) and energy source.

Just a thought though is that "Peat" may also contain other chemicals that inhibit bacteria other than the Tanic acids that change pH

What do you think

Navarre

I read two different books on fish diseases this week. One said Ich/whitespot can't live near pH 5, the other said they thrive below pH 7.... Confusing.

I do suspect it is the acidity that killed the ich.

Due to being taken from the wild and put into captivity they were really at risk of having an ich explosion, and that they brought a few with them made it so much more likely.

Apparently they are also susceptible to a nasty contagious fungus, columnaris, would be interesting to know if the peat can kill that too.

I got a friend to do a pH test on my tanks (he works in a science lab and has kickarse equipment at his disposal.

Tap water: 7.35

Mudfish tank: 7.05

:o

I am astounded! You should see how dark it is in there!!! Would have thought it was at least pH 5 or 6...

This was one day after doing the weekly 50% water change (no filtration in there).