The Diving Sea Brids 1st Reef

Gannet

hey guys, well planning has started on my reef tank, now just want to make sure im getting my head around how all this works, this is going to be a proges thred once the ball gets rolling

ok the plan is:

Tank: 1200long 450high 600wide, on sump (sump uknown size atm)

Skimmer:AquaC EV-180 skimmer thanks to david b, (havnt payed for it yet )

Lighting: 1x150w MH and 2x 4ft T5's

Flow: a resun wave maker from P-Aquira, and possably another type of power head to mix the flow up a bit.

Live rock: unkown how much im going to need to fill it

Corals: mainly softies and LPS, no acros or anything to advanced yet

Fish: small "comunity reef fish, i.e clowns, cardinals etc.

how dose all this sound? i will keep you up dated as time goes on

coments welcome to help me out

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gannet, that all looks pretty good you've obviously done your research! :D

Only thing slightly unstandard would be the lighting, you have a bit less than normal, however the corals you suggest keeping can do well under this much light, you can experiment with the best placement of them and find out where each one will do best. Also the flow arrangement you suggest will probably be OK, many of those corals don't like too much flow.

Good to see you are starting out with a decent skimmer, the skimmer is probably the most important part of your filtration system. The way an aqua c works is it has a very chaotic bubble chamber with bubbles of all different sizes. This can make the skimmer hard to tune at the fine end if you want dry skimmate, and some people don't like aqua c's. But the trick is to run them fairly wet, and they will keep the tank nice and clean and perform fairly well. They can be a bit erratic, so when I had an aqua c I had an overflow pipe out of the collection cup running into a bucket. Plus, I had a float valve in the bucket that would turn the skimmer off if the bucket got too full, just in case. So obviously the skimmer ran really wet. When I was doing things that way, with very wet skimming, was when I had the cleanest ever tank, and also the best coral colours and healthy corals I've ever had.

For live rock, just put in whatever amount looks good to you. Under do it if anything, because as your corals grow they will fill up the tank and get way over crowded if you started out with too much rock. If you have a lot of fish you will need more rock for filtration, but sounds like you are going to be sensible with this and not overdo things. yes, small "community" type fish are the best / easiest / happiest in a tank your size, no reason why you could not keep a bubbletip anemone with some clownfish in it, provided it is nearish to the halide to get enough light. As well as the community type fish, you would be able to keep a small yellow tang in this tank. It might stay small but if it did get big you could sell it.

Good luck it will be great to watch your progress! :D

Hmmm... I can't remember what the pump was called, it was a brand Jansens used to sell but now they don't. When I imported the skimmer, the remora pro, I didn't want the American pump so i wouldn't have to use a transformer. However I discovered I couldn't get one here with the correct flow + headpressure, so had to go a bit more powerful than recommended. Perhaps this was the problem.

I got all my info from an Aqua C thread on RC that was running in those days, a lot of people were upgrading to more powerful pumps than recommended, and a lot of people were having problems with eratic skimming also, so I assumed this was just part and parcel of this brand of skimmer.

Find it odd though that you found it hard to get it to skim wet though, was the 1060 the right specs, especially head pressure, for your skimmer?

now looking at 2x 150w MH so i can get a better spread
Good plan. Even this though is fairly minimal light but will do.

• 1 month later...

**UPDATE**

the parents have alomst got the house sold, and i have been given a tank.

1.12m long 0.85m wide 0.55m deeps so 520Litres,

just need to get it drilled and put the over flow on it, this now means that im going to need to get more lighting now, as the skimmer is still ok (that reminds me david i hope u still got tht waitin 4 me)

what lights now? 250MH??

2 x 150w will be more than enough. or 4 x 54w t5s will also be enough lighting for most corals.

The aqua c should be ok for a average skimmer, would have spent more on a skimmer as you will end up upgrading it soon .

If you get soft corals you will need quite a bit of flow otherwise the leathers will not do well.

• 1 month later...