Two Questions

Billaney

Hi Guys

I'm a bit confused , but nothing new in that :)

What i would like to know is:

1, I've read king killies can be peat or mop spawners but 99% of what i've read say peat, whats the likelyhood of a spawning from a mop.

2, whats the likelyhood of all the offspring being female ?

Tell you why , I had a mop floating in a tank with a very adult pair of king killies , thought nothing has happened and just put the mop in a tank that was very hevery planted . i've just gone to clean that tank out of most of the plant and there is young all over , and some fairly large. there used to be just cory's and some rainbows in that tank cory's they are not and completely the wrong shape for rainbows they ALL look just like feamle king killie ...couls this be ? Does the temp and Ph etc determin sex with this species ?

any thoughts ?

Thanks

Killies can breed in both peat and mops. not uncommon.

King Killies however, I am uncertain, but more than likely there were eggs in the mop you moved over to the other tank.

males should begin to colour up when they are around 10mm long with the prominance being in the fins. of course it will be easier to sex when they are bigger.

With regards to temperatures determining sex.... well yes this does happen, but to what the temperature ranges are, I am uncertain. Alan new, but I think casserole would have an idea about this.

hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...