help needed

smcoleman

hi guys i brought some more guppys this week from a pet shop. i put them in a quarratine tank with some other fish i brought but i notice that one of the guppys had like a red worm hanging out its bottom can any one tell me wot it is i took it out the tank stright away im worried i may an infected the other fish wot product do i use to treat the rest of the tank to much sure they r safe an where do i buy it from

I think that may have been a bit over reactive..... if i was to do the same thing everytime I saw a red thing hanging from a fish then almost all of them would be dead by now!! Or i would have needed to treat the whole tank load with prazi several times over.

What i have learnt from advice on this forum is to wait and observe.... often what i see as a problem actually is just a normal process.

Obviously Steves been around fish long enough to know that the fish isn't just doing a red poo... It isn't normal for red things to be hanging out fishes anus's so it is not over reactive to treat the worms (or kill off the heavily infected fish) before they infect and kill all of your fish especially if you run a large fishroom with alot of livestock.

I do agree sometimes people are a bit over reactive especially with fish but IMO in my fishroom I always jump on any diseases and don't just try and wait it out.

Obviously Steves been around fish long enough to know that the fish isn't just doing a red poo...

Sorry but this was not obvious to me... :-?

I just point out that, from the perspective of a recent newcomer to this forum and fish keeping, if I was to do what you both are suggesting each time i see something red hanging from the anus of a fish then most of my fish would be dead or i would have given up because of the cost and time treating the tanks. You may know that 'steve' has been around long enough but i have never seen anything he has posted before nor have any idea that his name is steve.

I am grateful for the help and info i have received on this forum and am aware of just how easy it is to panic when one is new to this game...

Sorry just because I know Steve doesn't mean you do..

If you did ever want to know how long someones been around I know its a fairly useless indication but have a look how long they've been a member and how many posts they have gives you some idea..

And I still disagree with you I don't think there are many times the red things would be normal, yes sometimes your fish do red poo's when you've been feeding red food, but the poo is different, the red things were referring to are like little tiny threads and are definitely not normal. I guess its hard to understand if you haven't seen them, they also go in and out of the fish because they're alive and eating it from the inside out..

nup, for cammalanus get a bird wormer called aviverm (should be available through your vets) as it will work good as (i've never heard of anyone using metro. Aviverm is levamisole (which is the reccomended treatment for cammalanus) and it worked very well for me

Remember, when you do a treatment, you need to do a 90% water change first, making sure you gravel syphon EVERY part of the gravel in the tank, then add the reccomended dosage, which i cant remember off the top of my head, but i will find out in a sec

All the best!

Heres a good thread about it

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/cammal ... 24520.html

Dosage is 1ml per 22L of water, BUT it is a very gentle med, and will not harm your fish if you overdose it (better to overdose than underdose) All it will do to your fish is give them diarrhea, but thats no biggy.

Leave the first dose in for 48 hours, and then do another 90% water change, once again gravel vacuuming the whole tank. Do another treatment the same as the first two weeks later.

I hope you let the Pet Shop you got the guppies off know of your plight as I would expect they would at least give you the parasite killer (or at the very least at cost) considering the problem they have sold you. Of coarse they in turn can let the breeder know!

Can aviverm be used to treat all types of worms in fish or only cammalanus? The metro was going to cost a huge amount to treat a 140 litre when calculated by the vet i called and she wanted to do a postmortum or at least see the fish concerned before giving it. How often should fish be treated for worms? Cats and dogs are treated regularly. Is it the same for fish?

Unsure what worms it can be used for.. But metro shouldn't cost that much? I think I paid less than $1 for a tab and one tab does 40 litres so your looking at 3.5 per day so probably around $15 to treat your tank? And if your vet charges you a dispensing fee it would add $5 but that should be max I would contact another vet, especially if they want to see the fish when they probably know nothing about it..

And I don't think fish need worming regularly as they're in a fairly closed environment, maybe if your introducing new fish regularly and also feeding live food from outside you have the potential to introduce worms..

And you would like to think the petshop would help fixing the problem but who knows if they will, have you talked to them Steve?