Need HElp On Finding Good Quality Bettas

moor_moth

im also interested in bettas soon gonna be in nz (june 8th) and have had to give up my yellow crown tail fighters bred by one of malaysia's best breeders and imported to australia

due to the strict import laws in nz i cant bring my fish with me :evil:

but any info anyone can give me would be a great help

im looking for price and availability in the south island of decent bettas not veil tails (for obvious reasons such as their just plain boring) id be after half moons double tails and crown tails

and while im at it how hard is it to get lfs's to import fish in nz?

In answer to the question about LFS's importing - very few of them do as they do not have the quarantine facilities or want to incur the expense. The only one I'm aware of that both imports and retails is Redwood Aquatics in Christchurch.

any shop can get nice fighters in, but alot of people dont want to pay the price of the fancy ones, i have had some nice fighters in but when you are looking at $50 a fish people dont want to pay it.

the best time to buy fighters is when they come in and most shops get them in every few weeks. you also can order what you want as the importers we deal with are very good at getting what we want, some times it does take some time but they do get the job done in the end.

as for bringing fish in from oversea's you can do it if you get in touch with the importers they will charge you the price of the tank and you have to pay maf , but it can be done!

• 7 months later...

whats the deal with importing? I read the MAF pages and they hold the fish in quarantine for 6 weeks and use a chlorine based disinfectant on them...would that not kill them? If someone could run through the proceedure with me that would be excellent...having a very hard time getting through to the office! thanks

maf are hard on importing but it has its ups and downs,

in aussie they only have to quarantine for a few weeks, with salt water in nz you dont have to do it for the 6 weeks as well because most of the fish will not live in our waters(should i say all wouldnt but i have been told never say never)

its been many years since my mum and dad had a quarantine room but i know in some ways they arent as hard on the importers as they did 31-25yrs ago but in other ways they are harder,

fish get sick in the first few weeks and by the time we get them they should be 100%

yes they do have to do something with the water , you cant just tip it down the drain.

maf change the rules all the time so dont try to understand them, you never will beable to

cool

so...I am arranging the importation of 2 - 4 bettas, what would I have to go through to ensure that they arrive? (forms and so forth). I have heard that whatever MAF do to them they usually die, is this true?? (sounds a bit bogus). also, what are the costs that you mentioned in the previous post? thanks a lot, I need someone to clarify a few things for me!

bringing in that few a fish is not worth the importers time , well it could be but it could cost you alot to do it.

its not maf that touches the fish they just come to the importers place and take the tape off the box (maf tape needs to be put on before leaving the country they come from)

they then mark the fish as doa or alive and come and see it a few times in the 6 weeks.

interesting....what if you dont have a certified quarantine facility? and what are the charges? thanks

If you don't have a certified quarantine facility then you wont be importing fish. I'm not sure what you mean by charges - if you're asking how much an importer would charge you for tank space - I doubt you'd find any willing to do it, especially for only 2-4 fish.

For some ideas of what is involved in setting up a quarantine facility you may want to have a look at this thread: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?t=3992

as for bringing fish in from oversea's you can do it if you get in touch with the importers they will charge you the price of the tank and you have to pay maf , but it can be done!

I don't know what charges...I'm just enquiring what the chrages are that Kim is talking about.

every time maf come out to an importers the importer has to pay his/her time, depending on the maf person you will be charged from when they leave work/home till they get home, so its normally a few hundred $$$ a time (that's from memory)

they have to come out 3 times i think before the fish can be sold, also any dead fish had to be recorded and frozen.

you must remember things change all the time so it might be cheeper but i dont think so.

• 2 weeks later...